Payment

We live in a big house, but the Mistrals's house is bigger. It almost looks like a palace, compared to the others around it.

I knock at the door, praying Rafal will answer, but it's just a maid.

She smiles; it's Marianne. I've worked with her over the summer. I suspect she hates me because when I asked her out, she said she feels sick and that I'm a huge piece of shit for doing so.

"Hi, Casper. How are you?" She smiles and asks. I'm still mad at her.

"I don't have time for a talk right now. I want to talk to Rafal."

She frowns and opens the door wider, allowing me to come in. It's exactly as it was when I left: on a shelf, there is a vase I broke while cleaning up. The stain on the carpet, where Anneliese dropped the soup on her way to the dining table. Everything.

I smile. Anneliese follows me as I head to Rafal's study. I'm nervous, I'm sweating, but I still manage to find the courage to knock at the door.

"Come in," He yells, "the door isn't locked!"

I push the door and find him sitting in his black armchair, and, in front of him, his son, Japeth, who hates me since we've broken up. His father didn't know, but last spring, he took me on a date. He sits there with his legs split and rolls his eyes as I enter. I've expected it. Oh, my lord, was he so handsome last time I saw him?

"Hi, Casper! What brings you here today?"

I feel some beads of sweat on my forehead, and I wipe them off. I step closer to his desk, and Japeth ducks like he doesn't want to stay too close to me.

"Hello, sir. I came here to ask you something important." I take my hat off, holding it down. "Can you pay me my work of three months? I have a problem, and I really need them -"

He laughs and looks at me like something I said was funny. He stops and looks me dead in the eyes.

"No."

I hope I didn't hear that right. I smile and ask him to repeat.

"I said no, are you deaf or something?"

Japeth laughs, too. I don't get why he hates me so much. Sometimes, I wonder what I did to him. He's my first and last boyfriend. I don't think I want someone else if they are as haine as him.

"Why, sir? I swear I will work, and if you want, I can go without you paying me for another three months."

He sighs, and Japeth stands up to leave. I look at him. He is way taller than me, so I  have to raise my head from the ground. He bumps into me in his way to the door.

"I'm sorry, Casper, but I can't. I'd do anything for you if I could, but I can't do this right now. I'll try to give you the money, but you have to wait until the end of this week."

And that's how my hope flies away. I have to win six gold coins in the next three days.

Six gold coins are 120 silver coins. 120 silver coins are 240 copper coins, which is... too many.