Paper

Now, I understand why so many people choose to live the circus life. The crowd is looking at me and only me, whispering with excitement. They are waiting for me to do what I know, so I reach my back pocket to check for the cards one more time. They might be just pieces of paper, but now, they are my whole entire life. 

"Greetings, ladies and gentlemen." I start, deepening my voice just a little bit. "I'm very happy you've all gathered here tonight to see the wonders of Tetral, the circus I'm grateful for being part of every month of the year." 

I'm a proud magician and the owner of Tetral at the same time. The people go silent, waiting for me to say one last sentence, inhaling every word of mine like they would inhale air. 

"With all of that being said, I just want to ask you a question: do you believe in magic?"

That's what I am supposed to say. But other words come out instead.

"I hope you enjoy the night we've carefully prepared for you, and welcome my assistant and husband on stage, Aric Maximil-Lesso!"

What?

I try to figure out what I said, but I just can't. It must be an error. But Aric is coming on stage with a golden-black suit prepared for a magic show.

He smirks and comes next to me. I feel every inch of my body warming up when he puts his hand behind my neck. He leans and pecks me on my cheek. It's so sweet! 

"Caspar!" He yells. Wait, he can talk? And since when did he call me... "Caspar, wake up!"

Should I be glad or upset that this was a dream? I don't know, but I'm clearly angry I've been woken up by a man who doesn't even know my name. I would've rather stayed in a dream where I'm married to my now best friend.

"For the millionth time, Dante, it's Casper!" I hit him in the face with my pillow. A pillow? I slept in a bed? I look on the floor; there, in the middle of the room, Aric is sleeping with legs under him. When I lay on the floor last night, he made a weird hand sign that actually means good night, but I didn't see him going to sleep. He just watched me from the nearest table to the door, and I assumed it was normal. Normal for a cat.

___________________

And, yes, we have a new set of representations tomorrow night, just like in my dream, but, thankfully, I'm not married to Aric, and, sadly, I do not have my own number and neither enough money to buy the circus. 

When we arrived, things were already prepared. The snakes were there. The whole requisite was there. The whole team was there. When I saw the two tamers, I said I needed some fresh air.

 I don't understand why people are looking at me like that; when I pass a girl, I usually wink, and she giggles. I might as well try my luck with the brunette passing me.

I wink and wait for my charm to work. Her eyes widen, and she passes me staring at the ground. Not nice at all, you know?

No one wanted to join me, so I'm all alone on my little walk. The streetlights are weak, and I can barely see anything again. This feels romantic: I'm all alone, taking a walk through the roaming street, humming, looking like a crazy boy but feeling like the happiest man.

Around me, nobody pays attention to what the others are doing. They just want to get home, and I do not blame them. I don't want to go home yet. Being the most useless one in the house isn't the best thing, but I think most of them don't suffer from this. Most of them suffer from financial problems, broken hearts, and actually important things. Not like me. I suffer from being ignored.

It's probably the end of the day for street vendors, too. A boy who sells roses is packing his things. I might as well make his job easier by making his bag easier. I steal one of his red roses while he isn't looking. The boy is prettier than the flower itself. He doesn't realize what I just did because he turns around, smiling.

"Good evening. What can I help you with?" He asks, holding his bouquet of flowers. His red, short hair looks quite orange in this light. He looks like a simple boy, a bit solid and a bit tanned, neglecting the weather outside.

"Nothing. I've mistaken you for someone I know."

And that's how I got myself a free rose. Now, the houses start appearing. I step on something. Paper.

It looks like a poster. I wonder what dumb kid got lost in the woods. I pick it up. It's not a dumb kid. It's a picture of...

!!!Missing!!!

Short, slim girl, answers to the name of Alessandra or Casper. Short, wavy black hair, a few freckles, blue eyes, rich laugh, very pale, was last seen to be wearing a white shirt and light green pants that don't fit her very well. If you see her, please reach out to Lord Japeth.

Reward: 1000 gold coins

Japeth? What does he want from me? And why would he look for me? I crinkle the paper in my hands and throw it on the ground. I feel a hot tear slipping down my face and then on my neck.

"For the last time, I'm not a girl!"