𝟶𝟾; 𝚁𝙾𝙾𝙼 𝚃𝚆𝙾

"𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄
𝘠𝘖𝘜 𝘑𝘜𝘚𝘛 𝘏𝘈𝘝𝘌 𝘛𝘖 𝘔𝘈𝘒𝘌 𝘚𝘜𝘙𝘌 𝘠𝘖𝘜𝘙'𝘌 𝘐𝘕 𝘊𝘖𝘕𝘛𝘙𝘖𝘓"

"𝐋𝐈𝐅𝐄 𝐈𝐒 𝐀 𝐆𝐀𝐌𝐄𝘠𝘖𝘜 𝘑𝘜𝘚𝘛 𝘏𝘈𝘝𝘌 𝘛𝘖 𝘔𝘈𝘒𝘌 𝘚𝘜𝘙𝘌 𝘠𝘖𝘜𝘙'𝘌 𝘐𝘕 𝘊𝘖𝘕𝘛𝘙𝘖𝘓"

𝙻𝙾; 𝚁𝙴𝙳 𝚂𝚃𝙸𝙲𝙺 𝙲𝙸𝚃𝚈, 𝙱𝙰𝚃𝙾𝙽 𝚁𝙾𝚄𝙶𝙴 𝙻𝙾𝚄𝙸𝚂𝙸𝙰𝙽𝙰
𝙳𝙰𝚃𝙴; 𝚄𝙽𝙺𝙽𝙾𝚆𝙽

𝙻𝙾; 𝚁𝙴𝙳 𝚂𝚃𝙸𝙲𝙺 𝙲𝙸𝚃𝚈, 𝙱𝙰𝚃𝙾𝙽 𝚁𝙾𝚄𝙶𝙴 𝙻𝙾𝚄𝙸𝚂𝙸𝙰𝙽𝙰𝙳𝙰𝚃𝙴; 𝚄𝙽𝙺𝙽𝙾𝚆𝙽

Melly, Yaya, and Malu bring our sandwiches, and we eat in silence. Kayla doesn't eat; she just stares at her food. I swallow, forcing the food down.

Everyone is so quiet, I don't want to break the silence. I finish half the sandwich, and my stomach closes up completely. I put the plate on the coffee table and focus on keeping the food down.

"You okay?" Malu asks.
"Yeah."
"Not all that hungry?"
Shaking my head, I reply, "Not really."

"That's okay, it takes a while to be able to eat normally."

It doesn't seem right, getting used to everything that goes on here enough to be able to shake the nauseated feeling in my stomach, but I suppose it will happen. It's survival, right?

People keep going through the most horrible situations because the survival instinct is so strong.

"When do you think I'll have to go in one of those rooms?" Now that Malu has broken the silence, my thoughts spill out.

Ja swallows. "Some have waited weeks, others days." Days or weeks. Oh.

"Don't think about that, Rowan. You'll drive yourself crazy. Believe me," Malu says, shaking her head as if she's recalling her early days here.

"How do you not think about it?" I ask. My mind flicks back to those rooms about every three seconds.

"What will you do when you get out of here?" Ja asks. He's on a distraction mission, and I'm grateful.

"Lock myself in my bedroom to watch Netflix and eat junk, where I should be now."

He smiles, but his eyes are sad. "I miss junk food."