~Avni~

Mummy and Papa went back in the morning today, I am chilling with Nani in the kitchen while she is cooking, Nanu is out because of some work.

"Here, Bitu, drink this." She said, handing me a glass juice. I eyed it with disgust. She is always experimenting with smoothies, and I become her scapegoat. Once, I ended with food poisoning after drinking her very special pumpkin drink. Yuck.

There was a knock on the door, and I jumped down the slab to open the door.

"Helloo darling." Savita Dadi exclaimed, hugging me. She lives just opposite Nani and is her best friend. She has a grandson on my age, so she urged me to call her Dadi too.

"Dadi!" I too squealed.

"Here she comes." Nani muttered under her breath.

"Oh please, you are just plain jealous that your grand daughter likes me mora than you." She said laughing.

"Yeah, yeah." Nani said.

"Dadi, see, she is trying to make me drink yet her another special smoothie." I whined.

"Oh god, Avantika, I have told you a thousand times that your experimental smoothies aren't appropriate for human consumption." Dadi said to Nani.

We three sat down and started chatting, and before we knew, it was lunchtime already.

"I totally forgot to tell the most important news." Dadi said, getting up. Just then, the doorbell rang.

"I will get it. Must be Nanu." I said, jumping up from the couch.

I opened the door in a hurry as Nanu was going to bring me jalebies, and then I froze. There was standing a boy, about my age, dark brown chocolate eyes, and frizzled hair. A backpack on his back and keys in his one hand.

"Um, is Mrs. Sharma around? Actually, the house is locked." He said, pointing to the Dadi's house door.

"Dadi, your surprise is here." I shouted to her, who came running out.

"Easy there, Miss Olympics, you don't want me to drag you back to Dr. Raichand now, do you?" I said sweetly. The last time I was here and she fractured her leg, running around the house because her children were coming. Unfortunately, her children canceled on her. I had to drag her to therapy and exercise for a week after the facture.

"Oh my god, you are turning evil like your Nani." She said, being dramatic.

"Like Nani like grand daughter." Nani said, grinning.

"And, Dr. Raichand was a nightmare. He checked like 10 times in 10 mins, and I was, most of the time, in an annoyed mood." Dadi said with a huff.

"Now, if you don't care, I will make him sit at your head if there is another fracture." I said.

The boy cleared his throat, indicating his presence here.

"Oh mera beta." Dadi said, hugging him, and he hugged her back.

"She is Avantika, my best friend, and she is Avni, my other best friend and Avantika's granddaughter." Dadi introduced.

"Hi." I said, and Nani hugged him, which turned him awkward.

"Hi, I am Aman. Nice to meet you guys." He said, extending his hand to me after turning normal. I shook his hand, returning his smile that didn't reach his eyes.

"Is there a reunion going on here?" Nanu said, exiting the elevator.

"Nanu, did you bring my jalebies?" I asked loudly for Dadi to hear cause sugar was no to her.

"Fine, way to tease this old lady." Dadi said dejectedly.

"Don't worry, I will cook my famous sugar-free gajar ka halwa for you. Now go and spend time with your grandson and stay away from my Bittu, you are spoiling her." Nani spoke and kicked her out.

"Cruel old cranky lady." Dadi said and earned a laugh from Nanu, but she shut up as soon as Nani glared at him.

We sat on the lunch table, me, Nanu and Nani, and I was eating and laughing. Eating with my parent's never felt this lively, that's why I escape to my Nani's whenever I have the chance, all mummy and papa had done the last year telling how much I need to study to clear all the exams so that I can get my favorite course and they shouldn't have to pay to buy me a seat and continuous taunts. I know they don't realize how much that has affected me, but still, they won't stop.

I then helped Nani with clearing the table, and Nanu went to watch some football match.

"Bittu, you are free till tomorrow evening, we all are gathering by the pool, come join us." Nani spoke. I gave her a thumbs up cause my mouth was till stuffed with the sweet dish, which was moong dal ka halwa.

I went in to my room, yes they have special room made just for me and the best part, it faces the whole city and the sky is clear from here, so the stars twinkle every night. Nani leaves on the second floor, although she acts tough, but she is not. If the lifts won't operate someday, she won't be able to make the above 2 floors. Hence, Papa insisted that they take a flat in lower levels.

I took a nap and then pulled out my books to finally start studying for the exams. It was night, and Nani poked her head inside to remind me to sleep. The next day, too, after lunch, I sat for studying again. I didn't know how time passed, but Nani came to tell me to get ready.

"And yes, Bittu, take your guitar." She said, and I grinned. These old ladies loved my voice, which I am so grateful for.

We reached the terrace and found all others by the pool side. Actually, I called everyone nani and Nanu here, but with names except my own.

Ragini Nani and Arya Nani were sitting with Dadi, and their husbands were with Nanu.

"Hey, our favorite superstar singer is here." Ragini Nani spoke and came to hug me, Arya Nani did the same. I started singing for them, and all were having a good time, until Dadi realized that she had left her cell at home and her other son who lives in the USA would be calling soon.

"Avni, give me your phone, I will call my cell and ask Aman to bring it up." She said.

"Yeah, here you go." I unlocked my phone and handed it over.

She called herself and spoke, "Hey Aman, would you mind bringing my phone up to terrace? Your Chahcu would be calling soon."

When she turned to us, all were looking funnily at her, "He will be here in 10 minutes." She announced. And we returned to our singing session.

Hellooo guys!! I really hope that you all are enjoying the story so far. Do drop your reviews. That will be highly appreciated. And, give lots of love to Avni and Aman, although my favorite characters are changing to both the grandmothers.😁❤️