Chapter 1

A/N: Trigger Warning- Mentions of suicide, self harm.

-

It's been four months since I came to LA. Four fucking months. Back home in Miami, I guess there wasn't much that I was leaving behind when I really think about it. I've never really had friends. I'm was that loner girl that you hear about in books, or you see in movies. Moving here was my fault too. Apparently leaving was the only solution my parents had been able to come up with to avoid me attempting suicide for a second time. I still haven't gone into full detail with them as to why I did it. They knew that things at school were bad. They don't know that they were bad enough that I'd been hurting myself for years, something I still do now. They don't know that I'd wanted to attempt suicide for a long, long time before I actually did.

After we moved, my parents made me return to school. They assumed I'd be okay. There was nobody here I knew, I could make a fresh start, right? This school was certainly something. It wasn't horrible, not like my school in Miami. But it was weird. I stuck out like a sore thumb. People wore summery clothes, sports team uniforms, brighter colours, stuff like that. It was always like that, even today. However, I was the odd person out, wearing ripped black skinny jeans, The 1975 shirt that I had dubbed as my favorite, black converse, my leather jacket, and a bright red beanie. Not to mention the red lipstick and dark eye makeup to tie it all together.

I looked down as I made my way through the halls, trying to get to my first class. I start the day with music, which is nice. Music makes me happy, it always has. Piano and singing, those are my things. This place has a good music program, we looked it up before choosing this school for me to go to. I've wanted to be a singer for as long as I can remember. I haven't sung in front of anyone but my family in a long time though. Not since the time in the seventh grade when I sang in the talent show and got laughed at. Sometimes in music class we would sing, but I would always just mouth the words along. Sometimes I wouldn't even do that. I try not to make my presence too known. Four months in and I still have no friends. It's okay though, I'm used to that. As long as I avoid enemies, that was what mattered.

I turned a corner, and collided with another body, both of us falling to the ground.

"Oh my god, I'm sorry," I said, feeling a little mortified that I'd knocked this person down. I looked up, and she was brushing off the skirt of her cheerleading uniform. She had dark skin, beautiful eyes, a beautiful smile. I recognized her as Normani, the co-captain of the cheerleading squad. She also happened to have a few classes with me.

"You should watch where you're going next time," she said softly, extending a hand out to help me up.

"Yeah, sorry," I muttered.

We stayed quiet after that as we made our way to the music room. People were turning their heads, whispering as we passed them. Normani actually had status here. Everyone knew who she was. Then there was me. Seeing us walking together probably threw a lot of people for a loop.

Normani and I entered the classroom, and she was immediately waved over by Camila Cabello, her co-captain. The two of them were attached at the hip. Camila was a year younger than us, but the music class was a mix of junior and senior students. I headed towards my usual spot, sitting at the piano. Truthfully I was one of the few people who could play. A few students were alright, but not at the level I was at. I can't play anything else, so when I showed up at the school, the teacher decided that she wanted me to play that. I was thankful, I couldn't imagine trying to learn something like the flute, or the trombone.

"Good morning class," Ms. Callahan chimed from the front of the music room. "Before we get started, I want to inform you about our upcoming assignment. Each of you will have a partner and be required to come up with something to perform for the class. If you sing, you may sing. If you want to compose a piece of music to play or do a cover, you may do that as well. I know some of you have skills when it comes to creating musical pieces on the computer. That's an option. As long as it showcases what you and your partner are capable of, that's what matters to me."

Across the room, Normani and Camila high fived, and the rest of the room started buzzing with excitement. I could see people already trying to get their friends to be partners with them. I couldn't help but sigh. I didn't have anyone. Nobody would partner with me.

"Now, before you get ahead of yourselves, I have already chosen the partners. I'd like to see you working with other people than you're used to. Would you like to find out who you're with now or later? "

"Just tell us now. This is going to be a bad idea Ms. Callahan, I know it. Some of us already know we don't mesh well with certain people.." Normani said, shrugging.

"Well, Normani, you get to work with Lauren."

I just about pissed myself when I heard that. Did she really think that Normani and I would be a good pair? This was ridiculous. I'd rather take a zero than have to work with someone who probably wants nothing to do with me. I could feel the way Camila's eyes were drilling into the side of my head. She always worked with Normani. Always. And here I was, taking the spot as her partner. I just stared at my teacher as she continued listing off partnerships before glancing at Normani. She smiled at me, but I didn't smile back. Smiling at the people I went to school with just isn't my thing.

"This assignment will require you to work outside of class. You will get one month to complete it, and you will get three classes a week to work on it, starting today. I expect you to put forth your best effort as to produce something wonderful. Now, find your partner and start brainstorming."

I didn't move from my spot. Camila went over to Ally, a second time senior who was back here for a victory lap, and Dinah, a girl in Camila's grade who was in the drama club. Normani eventually got up and came over, taking a seat next to me on the piano bench.

"So.. Have any ideas?" she asked. I simply shrugged, and shook my head.

"Look, Lauren. I know you don't say much. Hell, I barely knew you talked until you knocked me over earlier. But I can't afford a bad grade here, and you need to cooperate."

I could sense the seriousness in her voice and sighed.

"Just... Start writing things out and you can meet me here after school is done. That is, if you don't have practice." I said, gesturing at her uniform.

"After school is fine." she replied.

She went ahead and started making a list. She had neat penmanship, I had noticed. I didn't read much of the list though. I went ahead and took a piece of paper out, sketching some wilting flowers. Ms. Callahan never questioned what we were doing. We both looked heavily invested in what we were doing, and with the piano blocking our sheets, she assumed we were hard at work.

The bell rang after what felt like an eternity. I folded up my piece of paper with the sketches on it, watching Normani stand.

"After school. Don't forget."

-

a/n: Hey everyone! This was something I've been thinking about writing for a while, but I never knew how to start it. Now that I figured it out, here it is. As the summary states, this fic is going to be dealing with self harm and mentions of suicide. So please, read at your own risk. Anyway, I hope you enjoy, and the next chapter will come soon!