Chapter 34 - Home

Wilbur POV

After one week, I decided that six days was far too long of a trip from Pogtopia to L'manberg. It was inconvenient, exhausting, discouraging, and lonely.

Lonely because we were so far away from civilization. Lonely because I couldn't remember the last time I had seen a stranger's face. Lonely because six days to L'manberg was six days without (Y/n), six days spent waiting for her to come back.

But mostly, it was inconvenient. So on the seventh day, I sought out Tommy on our way back from conquering a dungeon, and asked him point blank: "How much do you know about Nether portals?"

He was silent for a moment, casting a curious glance over at me, before responding. "How much do you want to know?"

"Say, hypothetically, one wanted to use a Nether portal to get from one place to another quicker than in the overworld," I said. "Hypothetically."

Tommy flashed me a smug, knowing grin, straightening up with pride. "Then, hypothetically, you would have come to the right place."

•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~•

"Space is warped in the Nether," Tommy explained on the way down, a bucket of water in either of our hands. "The Nether is a small realm, so every measurement there is six times bigger in the Overworld."

"So every mile in the Nether is six miles here?"

"Exactly," Tommy nodded, finally stopping before a lava pool deep within the tunnels we had dug. "So if the journey from Pogtopia to L'manberg is six days in the Overworld..."

"It would only be one day in the Nether," I finished, lighting up at the realization. Tommy smiled and, rather unceremoniously, dumped a bucket of water into the lava pool. I watched as the liquids collided, rapidly crystallizing at every surface where they met. We got to work turning the entire pool into obsidian, and when we were done, we took out our pickaxes and began mining it, filling the sacks we had brought with the rocks.

An hour later, we resurfaced from the tunnels, arms straining under the weight of the obsidian. There, Tubbo and Fundy were waiting for us, having cleared out an area for us to build the portal. Together, it took the four of us another hour to weld the rocks together to create an oval about the size of a doorframe, and we gathered our supplies before lighting the portal, a purple light blooming from the contact of the sparks. I watched as my hand disappeared, and with a deep, final breath, I stepped all the way through.

The Nether could be described as nothing other than beautifully terrifying. From the first second I regained my senses, I took in a thousand bizarre sights, from the dark red stone that stretcehd one as far as I could see beneath my feet to the constant orange haze from the lava. There were creatures here that I had never seen in person before, from varying pig hybrids to enormous, wailing Ghasts that floated aimlessly around the realm. Tubbo and Fundy soon joined me, followed by Tommy, who started a timer set for twenty four hours, took out his compass, and led the way.

The day in the Nether came and went, the heat beating down on us as we wandered almost aimlessly and marked our trail as we walked. Finally, just as our resolve was starting to crumble, Tommy's timer rang out and we searched for the nearest flat surface to build another portal.

The relief of stepping into the Overworld was so overwhelming that I almost didn't recognize where we were. Momentarily stunned by the fresh breeze and lucious trees, it took Tubbo's excited yelp to bring me back to my senses. I turned to see what he was pointing at, following his gaze to find a soft glow of city lights just beyond the treeline. We all rushed forward, breaking into a clearing in the dead of night, and I couldn't believe our luck as Niki's house sat on the nearest hilltop, peaceful and patiently waiting.