Chapter 38 - The World

Wilbur POV

I had two brothers once. Two years younger, a million years more mature. He was stronger, quicker, smarter, tougher than I was. He was my world before I really knew what the world was. For five years it was me and him and my dad, two faces I no longer remember and one face I no longer recognize.

His given name was Dave. I knew him as Techno. The world knew him as the Blade. From the minute he was born, he was destined to be different. With startling ruby eyes and unnatural naturally pink hair, Techno was the exact opposite of me. Normal and abnormal, ordinary and unordinary. I loved him all the same. He was my brother, my best friend, my partner in crime.

But that was before. Before, before, before. Before Techno was born, I had a mom. Before Techno was born, I lived in a regular village. And then came the after. After Techno was born, my dad moved us away, away from prying eyes, away from judgemental looks, away from pitying neighbors, away.

I liked the woods, though. In our little cottage where we shared a room, I found my first peace. I figured out what it meant to be free, to be unbothered and untamed. To be able to laugh and play and walk outside without fear. I learned how to fight for myself, untethered and unrelenting. To hunt, to cook, to feed, to protect. To lead.

Techno learned too, much faster and much better than I did. The fighting came naturally to him. The urge, the need to protect and defend and fight was ingrained within him, a constant reflex. He knew he wasn't the same. He knew he would have to pay for it. He was ready.

And then came Tommy. When he was too young to remember, someone had left him at our doorstep, where we had once thought no one could reach us. But Tommy had reached us. Found us, reached our hearts. He became our second brother, our little brother. The one to fight for, to feed, to protect.

So I had two brothers once. But that was before. Before, before, before. Before Everything. Before I lost my dad. Before I lost our shared room in our cottage in the woods. Before I lost my peace. Before I lost Techno. Before I lost my way.

But for everything I lost, I found Something. I found Tubbo, Niki, Fundy. I thought I found my purpose in leading L'manberg. I found a new home. I found solace in Tommy, comfort in the way his dyed hair looked nothing like mine. I found (Y/n).

I found the Blade. Of course I had. The agonizing curiosity kept me up at night, the constant wondering of where did he go? or how is he now? was impossible to ignore. And as president, I heard about everything. I gathered whispers and put them together like a puzzle, piecing together the story of the mighty, infamous, legendary, brutal Blade, formidable hands as bloody as his eyes. I collected the rumors, the exaggerated stories of a soldier without a heart, a man plagued with voices that weren't his own, a blood-lusting half-human fueled by vengeance.

I found him. I found where he lived, in the frigid peaks north of Snowchester, secluded as the woods, kept company by only two others. A nervous wreck of a peculiar boy name Ranboo, ostracized from his community, found some sort of comfort in Techno. Maybe it was their shared experience of being unusual, of needing to seek shelter away from the ordinary. And Techno seemed to have a soft spot for the boy. It was almost endearing. I used to wonder in spite if he ever looked at Ranboo and thought of Tommy.

The other one who lived with Techno was none other than the elusive Philza Minecraft, who I had always known picked favorites, no matter what he said. I knew exactly where they were, what they were doing. Just in case. That was my excuse, really; it was just in case I ever needed to find them, even though I knew I'd never go looking.

Because really, I was angry. And hurt. Because Phil had left without saying goodbye and shortly after Techno had followed in his footsteps, and I was left alone with Tommy and Nothing. Because we had all made a name for ourselves, some more gruesome than others, and Phil had only ever come back for his prized Blade. Because I, Tommy, and the rest of the world had thought they were dead, and they had never even tried to change that. Because maybe it was better off that way; if we just stayed separate and broken. Because maybe I was too tired of being left behind to keep chasing. Because I had been left behind so many times that I swore to myself, and to little, sleeping, innocent Tommy, that I was done hiding from the world, before I really knew what the world was.