Chapter 8

Their ride to the mountains was awkward. She was sat between Jake and her Aunt, who were on minimal speaking terms.

Karina grimaced as Trudy and Norm exchanged looks while holding the cyclic pitch control. 

"Are we there yet?". Karina breathed out heavily as she turned to her Aunt.

Grace smiled at her as she held her hand. "We're getting close".

"Yeah-look at my instruments". Trudy pointed out the glitchy screens in front of her that flickered.

It means they are in the Flux Vortex. High concentrations of unobtanium on the ground contained a quasi-crystal matrix. They trapped magnetic flux lines creating the massive strength of the magnetic fields.

"Aint this a bitch". Trudy called out as they entered a thick fog on the ascend to the mountains.

It started to thin out as they could make out the outlines of a floating island. 

Karina, Jake, and Norm looked up at the glass with wide eyes. 

Each mountain was covered with overgrown foliage of straggly beards of vines that hang down beneath it. Thick beanstalks traverse the mountains creating a bridge between them.

What amazed Karina the most was the waterfalls that looked like upside-down geysers as they streamed down the mountain's sides and dispersed into spray at the bottom.

No amount of pictures she saw in her professor's lectures gave justice to the stunning view before her.

"You should see your faces". Trudy laughed at them as looked excitedly around with their mouths open.

________________________________________________

The airlock hissed as they entered the double door system. Grace immediately turned on the generator. "Welcome to camp".

Karina set her bag on the table and she stood next to Jake who was eyeing the pictures on the fridge's door.

Not missing his smile when he recognized Neytiri, Karina ruffled his hair teasingly. "Someone's got a crush".

Walking passed Jake, Karina headed further entering the second cabin. She saw 3 Link units lined up.

"Alright Jake, hang a left. Your link is at the end. Kari yours is in the middle. These 2 are the least glitchy". Graced tapped the end of Karina's link.

Karina automatically laid down not wanting to be tardy for her lessons. 

________________________________________________

She woke in her avatar and noticed Neytiri was already gone. Karina sat on the branch above her hammock and patiently waited for Jake to link up.

Glancing up at the levels above her, she suddenly remembered her dream. It felt so real as she recalled hearing the heart-wrenching cries of the people.

Her reminiscing was interrupted when Karina shrieked in surprise. Something-Rather Someone grabbed her foot.

"Gotcha". Jake beamed at her flustered face. Karina gave him a brooding look before kicking him hard on his chest. He stumbled back on his hammock but knowing she was pissed made him laugh harder.