Chapter 11

Tsu'tey frowned at an empty hammock a few feet above him. 

The first thing he would see after opening his eyes for the past month was Karina sleeping peacefully in a fetal position.

Wondering where the female tawtute could be at such an early hour, he descended the stairs, hopefully bumping into her before he started his patrol. 

He scanned the healing alcoves, common area, and the stables for any indication of her presence.

Unfortunately, she was not within sight.

"Brother, is everything alright?".

Tsu'tey turned to see his younger brother's worried expression. 

Silently realizing he must have been acting out of character, he gave up on his search as he approached his Pa'li. 

"It is fine. Come. We must return before sunrise". He brushed the Direhorse's long neck before initiating the bond and mounting him. 

They began their daily patrolling of the northern borders of the Omaticaya's territory.

Arvok would glance at his older brother now and again.

Despite their parents' apparent preference, He was always the person he would look up to. 

Tsu'tey showed signs of outstanding leadership at an early age and would often be recognized for his hunting skills even before the start of his formal training.

He grew up to be the mighty warrior the people dreamed he would be. 

It would be easy to think that he would be jealous to live under the shadow of his brother's limelight, but he wasn't.

Tsu'tey always looked after him, not just because it was his duty but because he genuinely cared for his brother.

It is often difficult to read his hard exterior, but somehow he could sense a slight uneasiness in his older brother's expression as he combed through the common areas of Kelutral this morning.

They hid behind thick branches high above the trees. Human activity consistently grew as they mined closer to the borders each day.

It was as if they were preparing for something as more machines arrived at the area.

Their vigilant observation and tracking of their movements help the clan anticipate attacks. 

Thankfully their watch was uneventful today.

On their way back, they cross paths with Syura'ewan and his hunting party.

As they exchanged greetings, Tsu'tey's furtive glances at the group did not escape Arvok's notice.

The brothers were enjoying their first meal silently before their parents joined in.

"Ma'itan, What is this rumor I hear that Neytiri and her student are often seen together? Even after eclipse". Artsut shot an angry look at her son. However, he appeared more preoccupied with the Episoth's seeds than her distress.

He gave the seeds he collected to his younger brother as he ruffled his hair, ignoring his mother's controlling nature.

"Tsu'tey, stop ignoring your mother". His Father was quick to call his purposeful disregard.

The said warrior sighed deeply as he stood up. He slowly met his mother's exasperated eyes, who were already looking at him.

"I am chosen to be her mate, but I am not her Mother, Sa'nok". He flashed her a smug smile before bidding them farewell.