Chapter 12

Everyone gathered around the small table to sing "Happy Birthday" to Grace.

Although they only had a few beers and microwaveable dinners, they creatively made a cake from Norm's Twinkie stash.

"Oh, come on, guys! You didn't have to". The birthday celebrant covered her face with both hands, wanting to avoid the attention.

Seeing her discomfort only made everybody sing louder. 

"Make a wish Aunt Grace". Karina held a lighter behind the top of the cake as a makeshift candle.

Her Aunt laughed shyly as she shook her head. 

Since arriving in Pandora, Grace has never made a big fuss about her birthday. 

She always buried herself with research and work, but unfortunately, her niece insisted on celebrating it this year.

There was something she wished for, though. 

Impossible as it may be, deep inside, she hoped her school would open again one day.

Grace closed her eyes as she blew the flame out. 

Applause erupted, and they all raised their cans for her. 

"Alright, time for presents". Jake waggled his eyebrows as he gave her a folded piece of paper.

She accepted it with a big smile, Not expecting them to prepare anything.

"Is that really necessary, Kari?". Her eyes narrowed with suspicion as she observed the camera lens pointed directly at her face. 

Karina silently nodded while adjusting the lens, ensuring she wouldn't miss her reaction.

"Alright, let's see what you kids got me". Grace opened the note and read it silently.

Her jaw dropped in disbelief.

"It's your hall pass to the village! Mo'at agreed with our suggestion to let you and Norm in". The marine sat back, feeling proud of his idea.

When he discovered that Karina was weaving a bracelet for a present, he knew he couldn't turn up to the party empty-handed.

"Congratulations Aunt Grace. You'll meet your students again". After setting the camera down, Karina rushed to her Aunt's side to hug her.

The atmosphere was filled with warmth as they both shared a beautiful moment.

Although speechless, Grace was genuinely grateful for such thoughtful people surrounding her.

They spend the rest of the night listening to good music, sharing stories about their journey to Pandora, and simply enjoying each other's company. 

________________________________________________

Karina woke up excitedly like a child on Christmas morning. 

She dragged Jake down the spiral staircase to where they would meet the Tsahik.

"Jacob, Come on! Keep up".  Urging him to stop lagging as she groaned in frustration. 

He was too preoccupied fixing the necklace made out of river stones his teacher gave him yesterday as a token of his perseverance in his training. 

Upon reaching the bottom level, Karina jogged towards Mo'at, who was standing near the entrance of Kelutral.

They patiently waited for Neytiri and Syura'ewan, who were tasked to collect Grace from site 26.