Extra Practice

Lucy stood in front of her new team with her hands on her hips. She knew what most of them had to be thinking, why would they put this girl in charge. She still wondered that herself, she knew she could coach no problem. She had been coaching little league for years now and was very successful. She just still could not believe that she had been recruited to coach professional baseball. The past few practices had been a struggle to say none the least. The team wasn't exactly where she wanted them to be, and a few of the guys it seemed to not be too keen on having a female coach. 

The team were now on one knee, at the end of practice beyond exhausted. "So how is everyone feeling after those updowns?" After a few of the guys had gotten snippey with her, she decided the team as a whole needed a good punishment and whats better than updowns. The team grumbled in response. "Good, I want you all to remember who is in charge of this team and show the proper respect." Lucy paused "Now I know tomorrow we don't have practice, but I will be having an extra practice tomorrow for anyone who is willing to come. It will defiantly be a practice worth coming to." Lucy had decided this is how she would be able to tell the truly dedicated players from the ones who were just there to collect their money.  After Lucy was done with her team they all walked away mumbling to themselves, but Lucy couldn't help to feel like there was still eyes on her.

The next day Natsu stopped in the dug out watching his coach from afar. He knew not all of the other guys was too keen on the idea of Coach Lucy, but Natsu understood where she had been recruited. He had done his research on her and her record was pretty impressive even if it was working with children. Natsu actually thought the fact that she had been so successful with children made it even more impressive. The kids are still learning the mechanics of the game, what they are capable of, not to mention it's harder to keep the kids interested when they are not actively engaged. Natsu had no doubt that Lucy would not only lead them to plenty of wins, but also the championship title this year. He just felt bad that he was the only one who could see it off his team, just as it would appear he was the only one to show up to this extra practice. 

Natsu left the dug out running up to his coach. He noticed she wore a white button up baseball shirt with black strips. The words yellowjackets reading across the chest. Natsu wondered if that was one of her old little league teams jersey she had coached for. Lucy smiled softly as she sighed at the sight of her one and only player who was dedicated enough to come to an extra practice in 92 degree weather. "Looks like you're the only one" 

"Yes Coach" Natsu quickly answered "I'm still ready for everything you have planned for today though!" He did feel bad he was the only one there but hoped it would be enough for the blonde. 

"Well as I promised yesterday today's practice will for sure be worth it" Lucy walked away for a moment and when she came back she was carrying a rather large cooler. "I thought we could have a fun practice today. Especially with how hott it is today what do you think?"

Natsu looked at his coach slightly confused. "What do you mean by fun practice?"

Lucy smirked "I know it made be a little juvenile but it will be fun trust me. Now go get your bat and helmet on." 

Natsu was a little worried with that smirk on Lucy's face but he obeyed his coach.  Once he was ready he lined up at home plate, in his batting stance ready for some batting practice. Lucy stood at the pitcher's mound with the cooler right next to her. Now Natsu was even more confused and worried. Lucy picked something out of the cooler "Alright lets work on your batting" Lucy yelled before throwing what ever was in her hand right to Natsu. 

Natsu swung his bat as hard as he could at the green ball shaped object heading straight to him. As soon as his bat made contact a burst of water exploded hitting the already sweaty player in the process. The cold water feeling ever so refreshing on his tanned skin. "What the hell was that?!" Natsu yelled at his now giggling coach.