01

⋆。゚☁︎。⋆。 ゚☾ ゚。⋆
𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐨𝐧𝐞

"You know, little one, you can never really escape me

escape me. No matter how hard you run
or hide. I'm always going to be here."

Dario jerked upright, reaching underneath his pillow for his gun and frantically pointing it in the dark. His eyes adjusted to the dimly lit room, darting around in search of an intruder. He was met by the distant hum of the air conditioner and the residing silence of the room.

The bed dipped beside him as Mattia moved to turn on his side lamp, his sleep-ridden voice barely above a whisper as he asked, "Another dream?"

More like a nightmare, Dario thought, releasing a breath as he stuffed the gun back in place and leaned against the headboard. "Yeah, but I'm fine, you can go back to bed."

He knew better than to expect Mattia to ignore him especially when the nightmares crept up. Sometimes he feared that Mattia cared more about the occurrence than himself.

The man in question rolled out of bed, brown wisps of hair ruffled and his lavish body on display, albeit for the silk sheets that clung to his waist. "Just sit tight, I'll get the pills."

"I can walk, thank you," Dario mumbled, getting up and bypassing him to the bathroom. He shut the door in his face and rubbed a soothing hand over his temple. No matter how hard he wanted to mask it, creating boundaries seemed to be the only way to work with whatever he and Mattia were doing now.

Sure, they hooked up once in a while - maybe more than that, and tried to be as civil as possible. But it didn't change the fact that they weren't lovers anymore. Courtesy of the same man who often acted like they were still entangled in some relationship. And Dario had much more to deal with than juggling complicated feelings whenever they spent the night together.

So yeah, shutting the door in his face seemed like the most effective way to get his message across.

He moved to the cabinet, retrieving the bottle of antidepressants and swallowing them dry. He hated the lingering taste of the drugs but welcomed the bitterness. It was the third night in a row that he'd woken up from that voice.

The same one that haunted him in his sleep, while awake and most especially when making love. Fucked up as it was, the pills were simply numbing the pain for him, clearing his mind. But when He showed up, there was just so much the pills could do.

"You okay in there?" Mattia called, hovering at the door like a warden, ready to jump at the sound of anything amiss. Dario hated it.

"I'm fine, Dad. Just taking a breather."

Mattia cursed under his breath, "It wouldn't hurt you to be serious for once."

Dario opened the door, placing his brightest smile on his face. "And it wouldn't hurt you to fuck off completely, but you don't see me complaining."