chapter 36

n// happy belated bday cillian ily

"Alright," Sybil spoke, trying her hardest to remain cool and collected as her husband stood in their doorway, car packed and ready to go to London. "You'll be safe, won't you? And you'll do nothing that isn't absolutely necessary? And you won't go making any new enemies if you don't have to?"

Tommy couldn't help the small smile that made its way onto his face as he listened to his wife's questions, staring at the woman lovingly.

"Aye, Sybbie. None of that." he promised, leaning against the doorframe.

"And you promise that you'll look after the others, too, right? And that when you make a deal with the Jews, you'll do nothing to offend? I've got a Jewish student, you know, and she's the only Jewish child in the whole school. They don't have it easy, Tommy, so—"

"Sybil." he interrupted, still smiling. "I'll be fine, and I'll be back before you know it."

Sighing, Billie nodded, closing the gap between them and bringing him in for a hug, which he more than happily reciprocated.

"I know, it just... It never seems to get easier. Seeing you walk into trouble like this."

"Me? Walking into trouble?" Tommy asked incredulously, looking down at his darling. "No. I would never dream of such a thing, Sybil."

For the first time all morning, Sybil let out a laugh, shaking her head at her husband's antics. One of the things she loved most about him was that no matter what, he could always be the one to bring a smile to her face.

"You're right. You are the trouble."

"Yeah." he said curtly. "I am the fucking trouble.  Now come and give your trouble a kiss, eh?  Send me off with something sweet from my wife?"

Rolling her eyes and not being able to fight off another smile, she pressed her lips to his and wrapped her arms around his neck, giving him the goodbye he deserved.

"Get home safe," she repeated, this time with the ever-so-slightest of pouts on her face.  "Promise me that."

Tommy took her face in his hands and looked her in those dark brown eyes he loved so much and took his next vow.

"I promise." he repeated seriously.  "I love you, Sybbie."

"I love you too, Tom."

Sending her a reassuring smile, he pressed one more kiss to the crown of her head before separating, much to his dismay.  If he weren't such an important man, he would have stayed in bed with her all morning.

"I have to go now, love," he muttered softly.  "I'll be home before you know it."

Nodding, Billie crossed her arms over her chest and watched as he inched closer to the door.

"I know," she grumbled, jutting out her bottom lip.  "Just go on and go already.  Sooner you go the sooner you get back and all that shite."

"That's my girl," he winked.  "I love you."

"I love you too.  Now go before I change my mind."