chapter 26

n// i know i got a few things out of order while writing this story just ignore it and take my word as cannon thank u baes! also the last chapter was met with such warmth and positive reception and let me tell u nothing on this planet makes me happier than that so thank you so much!!!!!! i do this all for u <3 enjoy!!

ps long chapter to make up for the long wait <33

The cool morning air was the thing that pulled Sybil Day from her slumber, the bite of it a stark contrast to the warmth of her lover.  Sighing lightly, she looked up at him from where she laid, taking in all of him as he slept with their chests just barely touching.  She loved him all the time, but there was something about waking up before the rest of the world and seeing her one and only in his most disarmed state.  It was the only time he was ever truly relaxed.  Even when it was just the two of them, Thomas always looked like he was ready to strike at any given moment.

Due to the recent events, Sybil couldn't really say that she blamed him.

But this was her favourite time of day, she reckoned.  Her moment of solace, her favourite place to be.  She loved the way the morning light streamed through the windows and cascaded onto his chiselled face, she loved how his arms encircled her, and she loved how his lips were just ever-so-slightly parted when he slept.  She knew that this wasn't a usual occurrence, seeing as more and more often her Thomas opted for no sleep at all, or he was up before the sun, but when he did... she made sure not to miss it.

This was her sunrise.

It was always bittersweet when she eventually felt him begin to stir, and despite her desire to speak with the man she loved, she always wanted to stay in the moment forever.  But if there was something Billie knew, it was that the sun always rose, and that she'd eventually have to come back down to earth.

"You're staring again." Tommy mumbled, not even opening his eyes.

Without missing a beat, Sybil replied with a simple: "Yeah, I am."

"Why?"

"Because I can.  Because you're beautiful."

Tommy let out a small chuckle, the noise sounding deeper than it usually did due to his groggy state.

"Silly girl," he mused, finally opening his bright blue eyes. "Good morning, Sybbie."

"Good morning, Tom."

Placing a long, gentle kiss on her lips, Tommy smiled and leaned his forehead against hers.

"I love this," he whispered, almost like he was afraid of saying it aloud. "Waking up and the first thing I see being you. I've never loved anything more."

Sybil smiled as she felt his butterfly kisses against her cheeks, nuzzling her nose against his.

"All I've ever wanted was you, and you alone," he continued. "And now I have you. Sometimes I can't believe it. But moments like this... waking up with you in my arms, where you belong, makes me believe there is a God after all."

"And to think... there was a time where I believed in God but not love..." Sybbie mused.  "How silly was I then, hm?"

"My silly girl, indeed."