chapter 24

n// this chapter is 4502 words and was really challenging for my to write for some reason so i apologise if it sucks and please forgive any typos made i didn't edit but that's ok anyways ily all

It seemed as if Sybil had just barely stepped through the door of her and Thomas' home before she was met with a kiss.  Melting into it instinctively, she enjoyed the moment before pulling away.

"Well hello to you, too, Tom," she laughed a little, taken aback by the sudden action.  "To what do I owe the pleasure?"

"In our room, there's a dress," he began, smiling down at her.  "You, Sybbie, are going to put on that dress, take your hair down, and put on the best pair of dancing shoes you've got."

Sybil let out another laugh in shock, not believing what she was hearing, but also not caring.  Her Thomas looked so young.  So happy. She would have done anything for him in that moment, if he'd asked.

"And pray tell, what is the occasion, hm?"

Pecking her on the lips before turning her around and pushing her in the direction of their room, Tommy leant down and whispered two words that sent volts of electricity down Billie's spine: "A wedding."

"A what?"

"John's getting married, Sybil!" he called out, pushing her through the door. "And you, my lovely, are my date."

Shutting the door, Sybil was left in shock, staring at the dress with a slackened jaw and wide eyes.

"A wedding. A bloody wedding."

However, despite her initial shock, she did as instructed.  She removed all of the pins from her hair and ran a brush through it before changing into the gorgeous dress her Thomas had picked out for her, matching it with the dancing shoe of choice for the night.  Walking over to the small vanity of which she had completely taken over, she applied some lipstick, perfume, and rouge before exiting.

"Well?" she asked, stepping into where Thomas was.  "How do I look?"

As Tommy laid eyes on her, a million things ran through his mind.  But the one that shouted louder than the others, the one that echoed off of every part of his brain, was simple.

Mrs. Sybil Shelby.

But he kept it to himself, locking it away for the time being, and settled with something he knew she would want to hear instead.

"You look beautiful, Sybil."

Smiling, Billie walked over to the man and kissed him on the cheek, giggling at the dark lipstick stain she left in the process.

"Thank you," she muttered, looking down at herself.  "Although, I must say, I don't really feel as if I'm dressed for a wedding, Tom."

At this, Tommy smiled that same smile he had on earlier, making the woman weak in the knees.

"Have you ever been to a gypsy wedding, Sybil?"

Sybil's eyes widened to the size of saucers, coaxing a laugh from her man. He knew the answer already, he just wanted to see her reaction.  Shaking his head, he stepped forward and closed the gap between them, taking her face in his palms.