chapter 39

n// ok soooo sorry this is kinda a filler chapter but it was too important to skip :( so not much tommy and billie buttttt we get our favourite bff thrown in the mix FINALLYYYY!! but it's another chapter so!! WE ARE SO BACKKKKK!!!!!!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

It must have been the longest four days of Tommy's life on that boat.  Or, it would have been, if he remembered most of it.  It was all blurry, leaving him with nothing but hallucinations of his beloved and shivers from his fever, but after four long days, they had arrived.

And before he knew it, he was with the Wandering Jew himself.

"You on your own?" he asked, looking Tommy up and town.

"Seems so."

"Well, you're a brave lad, ain't you?" he replied, turning around and leading the way.  "You want to take a look at my bakery?  We bake all sorts here, mate, yeah.  Did you know we bake over ten thousand loaves a week?  Can you believe it?  We bake the white bread, we bake the brown bread, we bake all sorts."

Tommy looked at what they stopped at, seeing an array of different liquors lined up before him.

"Would you like to try some?" Alfie Solomons asked, gesturing in front of them.  "Bread, yeah?"

Tommy needed a drink more than he had ever needed one at that moment.

"Alright."

"What would you like, brown or white?"

"Try the brown."

"Brown, right."

The man behind the counter filled their glasses as Tommy and Alfie faced each other, in preparation for the impending review.  Taking a sip, Tommy shrugged as he put it down.

"Not bad."

"Not bad, eh?" Alfie repeated.  "Not bad?  It's fucking awful, that stuff.  Fucking brown stuff, it's horrible.  It's for the workers, yeah.  The white stuff, now that's for the bosses.  Come look."

So far, this was definitely the most entertaining business trip Tommy had ever made.

"Well, I've heard very bad, bad, bad things about you Birmingham people.  Tsk, tsk.  You're gypsies, right?  So, what, do you live in a fucking tent or a caravan?"

"I'm here to discuss business with you, Mr. Solomons."

"Well!  Rum is for fucking and fun, isn't it.  So, whiskey, now that, that is for business."

"Let's talk first, eh?"

Alfie couldn't believe his ears, but he relented.

"Suit yourself.  They say you had your life saved by a policeman."

"I have policemen on my payroll."

"Well, I don't like policemen because policemen, they can't be trusted."

"Mr. Sabini uses policemen all the time.  That's why he's winning the war in London and you are losing it."