chapter 38

n// we are so back.

Sybil couldn't think of a more unwelcome sight than that of Inspector Campbell walking — or limping rather — into her husband's hospital room, looking around as if he were somehow amused by the whole situation.

"Ah," he said with a sigh. "I see you paid extra for sunlight. The racketeering business must be booming."

"Not as much as you would make in the minding your own business market, I'm sure." Billie replied, putting her book down and looking up at the old man from her seat.

"Now, Mrs. Shelby, aren't you going to thank me for saving your husband's life?"

Sybil moved to speak, but a gentle hand on her arm stopped her, focusing her attention on Tommy.

"Pass my cigarettes for me, will you, darling?" he groaned out through his bruises.

Begrudgingly, she did, feeling the weight of Campbell's gaze the entire time.

"Three nights ago, at the cooperative stables in Montague Street, there was a murder. A man named Duggan. The Oxfordshire constabulary found his body in a shallow grave."

"That's a very lovely story you're telling, Mr. Campbell," Sybil spoke as she lit the cigarette for Tommy.  "But seeing as it has nothing to bloody do with us, I think it's best you be on your way."

"And I need to piss." Tommy grunted, moving to sit up, only to be stopped by Mr. Campbell's cane on his chest.

"I know it was you who carried out the murder of Mr. Duggan."

Standing up so fast that her chair scraped the floors, Billie snatched the cane from her husband's chest with a fury neither of them were sure they'd seen before and looked directly into the Inspector's eyes.

"I don't know what game you're playing at here, sir, but I strongly suggest you leave.  Otherwise you might be swapping this bloody cane out for a wheelchair."

Throwing the cane away from herself, she watched as Campbell grinned down at her through his thick, unflattering moustache.

She wanted to rip that thing right off his face.

"Are you threatening me, lass?"

"Well, I certainly wouldn't be the first woman to get one over on you, would I, sir?"

"Sybil," Tommy called out, easing the tension in her shoulders by the slightest percentage.  "Would you give us a moment, please, love?"

Billie held her gaze on the older man for no less than an uncomfortable amount of time before she turned to face her husband, features softening considerably.

"Are you sure?"

"Oh, I'm the least of your worries right now, given his state, Mrs. Shelby." Campbell chimed in, pulling her discarded chair back to its original place by Tommy's bedside.  "You should go get some air.  This place is beginning to age you."

"Oh, how could I have forgotten?  You always did like them young and blonde, didn't you?  Or did you prefer them for sale?"

devil's backbone 🗝 tommy shelbyOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara