C H A P T E R - 3

An electric blue Mahindra XUV entered inside the registrar office campus and parked beside an Atlas black Tata Nexon, in which the groom's family arrived.

The bride's father got down from the car before helping his daughter to come out, stretching his hands for her to hold. They moved towards Chezhiyan's parents before greeting them.

The bride's eyes searched for the groom's but it lost its color, when she couldn't find him.

Where is he? was the only question in her mind. Her eyes caught Akilan who stood there chatting over his phone. She tried to get his attention but all went in vain.

Intentionally, it seems.

She sighed and caught by his mother who was looking at her intently. She shrunk her eyes in confusion before throwing a little smile nervously.

Raji chuckled at her soon to be daughter-in-law's reaction and moved near her by grabbing her hands.

She smiled widely before cracking her knuckles saying,

"Azhaga iruka da ma"

(You are beautiful)

She blinked with a small smile. "Thanks Aunty".

The word Aunty made Raji's smiling face to be sullen. Raji always wished for a daughter not a daughter-in-law.

Being with two men for more than 25 years, she always desired for a daughter.

She needs a daughter to pamper a lot with all her love.
She needs a daughter to adore her with all of her's.
She needs a daughter to share everything carefree.
She needs a daughter to tease each other like friends do.
She needs a daughter to go window shopping and gossiping over things.
She needs a daughter to fight with her over silly things.
Finally she needs a daughter to teach her cooking by knocking her head when something she does wrong.

Even though she does all these with her son, she still longed for a daughter.

Raji smiled and shook her head as nothing when Karthikeyan's hand held hers and nudged his chin asking What is wrong?

May be she needs time. Raji tranquilized herself with a smile and stood aside.

The bride's eyes scanned the area around her once again, when the peon came there and read out their names, calling them inside.

"Vanga ellarum ulla. Registrar kupudranga"

(Come inside. Registrar is calling)

Bustling themselves, the relatives, who came with them gave a weird look at the bride's and groom's family.

"Maapila enga?" Her father asked making Chezhiyan's father sigh saying,

(Where is the groom?)

"Koilku poirukan ipo vanthuruvan"

(He went to temple. Will be back soon)

"Time aachu sir inuma varla?" The peon asked, while his father trailed his words, "Athu av... "

(It's getting late)
(That's...)

"Sir call panni parunga sir" Her father insisted and Karthikeyan looked at his wife who signalled him to make call before dialling his number.

(Sir give him a call)

When Chezhiyan's number went unanswered, Raji said "Yenga Adhi ku call panni parunga"

(Dear, call Adhi)

Karthikeyan dialled their numbers alternatively but both of them didn't attend his calls.

"Dei Akil enga da ivanga rendu perum?" Akilan startled by Karthikeyan's voice but composed himself before answering,

"Enakum terila pa. Naanum try pannitu than iruken"

(Akil where were those two?)

(I too don't know dad. Me too trying to reach them)

Akilan cursed his friends mentally when Karthikeyan glared him.

'Ayoo enna military kita korthu vitutu ivanga enga ponanganu terilaye'

(God where were these two gone)

When the peon called them in, again, they asked them to proceed with the next couples saying that the groom wasn't arrived yet.

Trepidation.

Everyone visibly seems to be flustered. When everyone were discussing about what to do next, the bride took her friend's scooty and rode away, saying she will be back along with them.

She couldn't hold her back, the anxiety from the morning isn't helping her either. Nothing matters her except the need to see Chezhiyan now.

Before anyone could stop her, she flewed away from their eyes.

'Iva yen ipo over ah panra' Akilan thought seeing her disappearing figure.

(Why is she over reacting?)

In no time, they received a call from Adhi making everyone sigh in relief.

"Dei enga da irukinga evlo neram aaguthu... Kilambitingala ilaya?" Karthikeyan chided making the other end sigh and shook his head.

(Guys where were you? How long it takes? Did you both started?)

"Paa athu kovil than irukom. Ipo kilambiruvom. Neenga ellam safe ah reach aagitingala" He asked whilst checking Chezhiyan through his peripheral view.

(No dad we were about to leave. Did you all reached safe?)

"Aama naangalam apove vanthutom. Inga nammala kupda start panitanga. Time aagitu da nenga seekram vanga. Ungala kaanumnu antha ponnu vera scooty eduthutu kilambi vanthutu iruka. Yaaru solliyum kekala. On the way la paatha kuptu vanthurunga"

(Yes we reached. There started to call us. It's getting late. That girl had gone in search of you both without minding us. Come soon. If you saw her on the way, get back her with you)

With that Adhi murmured knowing whom his father was saying about. 'Iva vera'.

(This girl)

"Enada sonna" Karthikeyan's words bring him out of trance.

(What did you say?)

"Onuila pa nanga vanthurom" With that they cut the call and Adhi moved to Chezhiyan and consoled him before heading away.

(Nothing we will come soon)

Karthikeyan moved towards the bride's father and patted his shoulder saying, "Avanga kilambitanga sir neenga unga ponnuku call panni vara solunga".

(They had started dial your daughter and ask her to come back)

He then stood beside Raji holding her hands consoling her, who is scared since the unanswered calls of their son, that everything is alright. And glared their relatives who rumoured about his son a while ago.

Whilst, he looked at Akil who blinked his eyes and nodded in assurance with a smile, which reflected in Karthikeyan's face later.

The bride's father tried and tried to reach his daughter but she didn't pick up any of his call.

'Epo paaru avasaram' he chided his daughter before dialling her number another time.

(Always hasty).

What is going on?

Will the marriage happen admist the situation?

Will her dream of marrying her love come true?

______________________________________

Thank you for reading 💖

-- Krithi

Do comment your thoughts 💞💞

Can you guesses?