5- The Restroom

Ariel's POV

As soon as I stepped into that room I had to run right back out. I had been sick all morning and it still hadn't let up.

I barely made it to the ladies room before I blew chunks everywhere. I didn't know I ate so much because with all of the vomiting I'd been doing today, I should have been throwing up bile at this point.

As I was still bent over the toilet, I felt a soothing hand pull back my hair and gently rub my back. As I stood up to wash myself up, I began to apologize. "Sorry Anna but today's just been much worse th-" I looked up to her face, to see it wasn't her, which stopped me mid-sentence.

Alex.

I almost forgot he was here. Almost.

I quickly jerked away and headed towards the sink to rinse my mouth.

"What are you doing here? " He simply asked.

The nerve.

"Well," I said my anger going from 15 to 1500. "I could be an assistant, or a janitor, or a cook, or even the office whore that sleeps around and gets paid for absolutely nothing." I said with extreme venom in my voice. " Or I could be the new CEO that you so very much want to agree on this Australian venture." I completed with a smug tone.

He didn't seem surprised at all. In fact he seemed agitated. " I didn't ask you what your job was, I asked you what you were  doing here. Meaning why are you here at all, in you condition?" He asked again, barely containing his anger.

"Sir, I'm pregnant, not sick or dying." My anger subsiding a little.

"You are sick!" He snapped, making me jump."You were thirty-five minutes late to the meeting, because of morning sickness." He emphasized the word. "When you finally did arrive, you ran right back out because you were going to be sick! So don't, for one second, tell me you're fine and you're not sick!"

After he was done with his mini  rant, I began to cry. No, not the little whimper cry, the loud deep sob that came from the gut.

"I'm sorry." I apologized through my tears.

He looked shocked at first, then he came up and hugged me. It was very comforting, which only made me cry harder. Thinking back on it, it made me cry because he soothed me, and I realized if he signed those papers my heart would have fractured.

This time he looked terrified.

This must be the pregnancy hormones.

I thought internally. Because I could not stop crying. This was very embarrassing.

"Ariel, Ari listen," He began in a calm voice while smoothing my hair back out of my face. "I'm sorry for yelling at you okay? I just know the stress of being a CEO and I don't want the mother of my child to be stressed out so much. I'm sorry."

After a few moments my crying calmed to hiccups, then I spoke, "What are you saying?" I asked genuinely confused. " What makes you so sure it's yours now? I thought you said you didn't want the baby? "

"I never said that, I simply stated that I wanted a DNA test done before I gave you any money." He stated in a matter of fact tone.

And the fire started again.

*
*
*
Alex's POV

That was the scariest moment of my life. I was alone with an angry, stressed out, crying pregnant woman.

It took everything in me not to panic.

And that woman was the mother of my child.

She was loading herself with all of this work, while she was in the most crucial part of any pregnancy. That's what aggravated me. She should have been at home relaxing and eating, not at work dealing with all of these stressful assignments and decisions.

When I finally got her to calm down, I just had to say something stupid.

"I never said that, I simply stated that I wanted a DNA test done before I gave you any money." I stated factually.

The look in her eyes after that... had me more scared than I was when she was crying.

Oh shit.

"Why the hell would I need your money?" She asked stalking towards me. Oh shìt. "Do you know how cheap that made me feel, how dirty?" As she was coming to me, I was backing up. But as she said those words my heart broke.

"Ari, Im sor-"

"Shut up! Just shut up! I was so humiliated, what made you think I wanted your money? Did I ask for it? Did it ever cross your stupid pea sized brain that maybe, just maybe, I thought you had the right to know about your own child." She finished completely sounding hurt.

"That's what all of the other women were after." I stated solemnly. "That's all they wanted. Every single one of them. After the first time, when I actually bought everything for the nursery, and enough stuff to last for the first six months of the childs life, he was born with red hair and brown eyes. She had naturally dark hair and grey eyes and me and both my parents had dark hair and blue or green eyes." I paused remembering the emotions when that DNA test came back. "I had the DNA test done, I wasn't the father. That was one of the lowest blows I've ever had to emotionally deal with because I've always wanted children, even when I was a child. That was something unusual for young boys to want but I feel like I was born to be a father." I finished trying to smile but failed.

"How many others were there?" Ariel asked sounding more serene than she has this whole conversation.

"At least six. And each time I couldn't help but to hope that maybe, it was truly mine. Each time the DNA test proved negative, and it hurt a little less each time until I stopped feeling, and that's what you saw. I couldn't let myself get my hopes up just to be disappointed again."

It felt so good to finally get that off of my chest.

This time she hugged me. It felt so.... right.

"I'm sorry, I jumped to conclusions. I was just thinking I could give you a choice I- "

"I've already made my decision."

Then I kissed her.