Chapter 4: Magic Assessments

Third P.o.v.

You all gather around Professor Weasley's desk, Daniel opening a folder of pictures, notes, Evidence, it's the case. Your eyes widen at the list in the folder, names.

"This list are these suspects or the victims?" You look at Daniel and he frowns slightly.

"The victims, 45 of them, so far that we found anyway." Daniel stares at the list and shows a look of helplessness, pain.

"What you are saying is that there were 45 bodies dead, not kidnapped, DEAD found and you didn't bother telling anyone when it met the 5 body mark, or ten!?" Ominis roars, ready to curse whoever made it like this. "Less people could've been taken if these rules were put in place in the beginning, how long has this been happening?" You can't help but be angry yourself, you could have protected all of these people, but now they're dead.

"It started at the beginning of your sixth year. That's when the first child went missing. A seventh year girl, found dead a month after that." Minister Osric said.

"Wait, that's when Professor Lanstock started here. Weird things have started besides the missing kids." Garreth pointed out.

"What things?" Daniel leaned in on Garreth sounding desperate.

"Well all the portraits in his office are very skittish now, afraid to talk when he's around and when he's not they do nothing but talk about how scary he is and how much the students need to 'watch their backs'."

"The beasts are also terrified of him, they hiss and try to attack him actually, especially the friendly ones." Poppy pointed out. "The plants don't take a liking to him either, they either wither or they try to bite him and such."

"My mother doesn't like him, I've avoided him ever since." Natty looked at you, then frowned. She sees the pain that this brings up on you. You want to fight him, make him feel the pain of their victims.

"Now that I think about it, Aunt Matilda talked about how eerie Professor Lanstock was, he was always fascinated with death and every time she went to his office, he always had a different book about it." Garreth rubbed his neck, nervous at this point. Your mind went straight to the book that you found, The killer of schools. He probably had to hide that book in order to read it without caution of being caught.

"We'll look into that, but I need to know your skills first hand." Daniel pulled out a small note book and wrote down something quick, then shoved the little notebook back in his cloak. "To the quidditch arena, we'll assess you all there."

You follow in the back while the others are in front. Your mind keeps going back between that book and Lanstock. Could he actually be the killer? Or someone else is in his shadow while Lanstock is the mastermind? That could be a thing.

"Y/n, you haven't said a word ever since we left the office. Are you alright?" Ominis asks, both of your hands graze against each other, making your cheeks flush red.

"I'm f-fine. Just thinking of theories."

"Are you sure, no second thoughts or anything?" Sebastian chimes in. You are now between them.

"Yea, we better just prepare ourselves though. Who knows what he has in store to know 'our skills first hand'." Your cheeks are burning, your mind going back to the night in the library with Sebastian. When you all reach the Quidditch arena, you get a sense of Dejavu, like a trial.

"I will be dueling each one of you, there will be mannequins as my 'back up' if you get knocked down or one of my mannequins get a hit on you, you're dead. You may use any spell, think of this as a battle, where your life and your friends' life is on the line. Poppy Sweeting we shall start first." Daniel pointed to Poppy then held out his wand, creating what looked like a camp. "Unfortunately Poppy here will not know my fighting style, so you all technically have an advantage. Use it wisely. Poppy to you mark."