Chapter 11

The second she closed the store, Kaiya booked it to Ville’s house. She knew Jesse was going to bring her stuff over, since Hanna had falsely told him that Kaiya would be moving in with him, and she needed to beat him there so she could explain things to Ville and not have her entire lie crashing down around her.

Unfortunately for Kaiya, it was too late. Jesse had already arrived. When Jesse knocked on Ville’s door with an arm full of Kaiya’s stuff, Ville looked surprised. “Where d’ya want this?” Jesse strained.

“Um, I guess right here. What is this stuff?” Ville asked, confused.

“Kaiya’s stuff, dummy.” Jesse laughed.

Ville stood there dumbfounded. Was there a conversation he had with Kaiya that he wasn’t remembering? Either way, it seemed like Jesse was under the impression that Kaiya was moving in and he didn’t want to argue. Of course he wanted Kaiya to move in, he’d love to sleep beside her every night and not just whenever their sporadic schedule allowed. But this did mean he’d have to talk to Kaiya about why he was seemingly the last to hear about this.

Jesse led Ville outside to help him with the rest of Kaiya’s things. It wasn’t much, everything Kaiya owned fit into one closet in Jesse’s apartment. After Jesse sat down the last of the boxes he turned to Ville “Hey, can I get the ring please? I’m proposing to Hanna before New Years. Between you and me, I was waiting to see if Hanna would ever warm up to Kaiya before popping the questions, and she finally has, and…” Jesse trailed off with a sigh. “I’m just relieved. Finally! My girlfriend and best friend are getting along.”

Ville raised his eyebrows, “Yeah man, that’s great. Let me go grab the ring, it’s upstairs. I’ll be right back.”

Ville disappeared up the stairs and returned moments later holding the small black jewelry box that Jesse had given him for safe keeping. “You guys are next, right?” Jesse smirked, nudging his older brother with his elbow. “Double wedding?”

Ville smiled weakly, “Ha, yeah, with any hope. Not getting any younger.”

“Mom would fucking lose it. She’d be so happy. Anyway!” Jesse hugged his brother goodbye and as he did so whispered, “Be good to her, please.”

Ville stood in the foyer looking around at Kaiya’s belongings. He had a thought to bring them up to the bedroom but thought he should wait. Moments later, he heard knocking at the door. He opened it without even looking, assuming it was Kaiya, and he was correct.

“Hi.” Kaiya greeted him, bent over with her hands on her knees, completely out of breath. “Sorry, I totally just ran all the way here.” 

“Not sure why you’re knocking, honestly.” Ville asked, amusedly crossing his arms.

“Yeah, yeah, I know.” Kaiya replied waving him off dismissively, struggling to speak through the breasthlessness. “I should just come in.”

“Yeah, especially since you live here now, apparently.” Ville shrugged, letting her in the rest of the way into the house.

Kaiya’s breath hitched, “Fuck... Okay, so I can safely assume Jesse was already here.”

Ville nodded, motioning to the boxes stacked by the front door, “Yep.”

Kaiya shut her eyes and cringed, “I am so, so sorry, I didn’t mean to put you on the spot. It’s a long story, but don’t worry, I’m not staying.”

Ville furrowed his eyebrows, “What? Why not?”

Kaiya raised her eyebrows, “What? You want me to move in?”