Playground - Scarian

Kinda shippy but not really bc they're seven-eight years old in this fic. Mostly Scarian, with hints of Hex, Etho x Bdubs, Mumskall, and Rendoc.

Tw: none that I can think of :)

Elementary School AU fyi

Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Recess was Grian's favorite time of day. One, it meant that he could get his energy out from being trapped in his small seven-year-old body. And two, it meant he could see his best friend: Scar.

Mr. TFC dismissed the second grade class to the playground, and Grian ran as fast as his little legs could allow, his two friends Mumbo and Iskall close behind.

Mumbo and Iskall ran to their favorite part of the playground, the jungle gym, and Grian looked around for Scar by the swing set.

He watched the playground while he waited. Occasionally, Scar was late, as he needed extra help with his dyslexia. Cub and xB were on the monkey bars, with Keralis and Beef cheering them on. Xisuma - whose name no one could pronounce except for Xisuma and his twin, Xay - was with Biffa, his best friend, and Wels, playing hopscotch in the middle of the blacktop.

Etho and Bdubs, an inseparable duo, were playing soccer with Doc and Ren, another inseparable duo, by the big tree in the middle of the grassy area. Tango, Zed, and Impulse were sitting on the edge of the mulch, digging in the dirt for the latest insect Zed was interested in. Jevin and Hypno were playing tag near X, Biffa, and Wels.

Cleo, False, and Stress were climbing on the monkey bars. Technically, they weren't allowed to have sticks in their hands while being active, but False always seemed to have one and never got in trouble. And Xay and Hels were on the big slide, as they were the only ones brave enough to go on it. It was taller than three of the small second-graders combined. As long as that second-grader wasn't Doc. Doc was tall.

Grian was about to sit on the swing when he heard footsteps behind him. Someone jumped on him, their arms flying around his neck. "Hawkeye!" A cheerful voice yelled.

The two stumbled forward, both little kids dissolving into giggles. "Did you say hot guy?" Grian asked in between laughs.

Scar grinned. "No, silly, I said Hawkeye. Y'know, the superhero?" Grian nodded, though he'd never been one for Marvel. He'd always been more into Star Wars, like Ren. "But I like your version better. I can be hot guy!"

"You already are," Grian said jokingly. The two had watched a Disney movie with a lot of unnecessary romance and flirting a while back, and now found it hilarious to jokingly flirt with one another. "I can be cute guy, your sidekick!"

Scar grinned again. "You already are, Gri. C'mon, do you wanna swing?"

The two of them climbed onto the swing set and started swinging, after making sure they wouldn't kick anyone. If anyone got hurt, the swings would be removed, and no one wanted that.

About halfway through recess, someone called out "G! Scar!"

Grian jumped off the swing and landed in a superhero crouch. Scar slid off and stood next to him. "Yeah, what's up, Xay?" Grian asked.

Xay had a crooked grin on their face, their white hair blowing in the wind. "Wanna ride the slide?"

Scar smiled. "Sure!"

Grian froze at the mention of the slide. Despite loving the swings, he was terrified of every other play equipment taller than he was. "Uh, s-sure. W-we can do that," he said, voice shaking.

Xay's grin softened. "S'alright, G. I'm not gonna force you. I just think you two would like it, since you can get so high on the swings." They were mischievous, not heartless.

Scar tilted his head, looking out for his friend. "You wanna, Gri, or do you want to stay on the swings?"

Grian weighed the idea in his mind. He decided to try it. Just once. If he hated it, he never had to do it again. "Alright. We can do it."

Xay smiled. "Yay! Follow me! You're gonna love it, trust me."

The three kids ran across the playground towards the slide. Hels slid down, his amber eyes glowing with excitement. "Are you two gonna ride the slide?" He asked.

Scar nodded enthusiastically, and Grian nodded much less so. "Great!" Hels said with a grin. "Right this way, folks," he said with his best host voice.

That got a small smile out of Grian. Hels led them to the top of the stairs, Xay right behind the group.

"Who's going first?" Hels asked.

Scar and Grian exchanged a glance, neither of them wanting to go.

"I'll go, to show them that it's easy!" Xay offered. Hels nodded and waved them forward.

Xay made eye contact with Grian and grinned. "See you at the bottom."

Then, they were gone, zooming down the tube of plastic at what seemed like super-speed to the second-graders. Grian gasped.

"Down!" Xay yelled from the bottom.

"I'll go next, if that's alright?" Hels asked, since it was clear neither Grian nor Scar wanted to go next.

Scar and Grian nodded in unison.

Hels grinned and slid down just as fast as Xay had. "Down!" he yelled when he reached the bottom.

Grian and Scar exchanged a glance. "Um, I could go next?" Grian offered hesitantly.

Scar shrugged. "If you're up for it."

Grian nodded and sat down. He tried not to look, but it was inevitable. His eyes widened and he gripped the sides of the slide in a panic.

"Hey, hey, Gri, it's alright. Hels and Xay did it. You'll be fine," Scar said softly, putting a hand on Grian's shoulder.

Grian took a few deep breaths and nodded. "Yeah. Okay." He managed a small smile. "See you at the bottom."

He let go and pushed himself forward. Then he was zooming, sliding down the steep slide at crazy speeds. He reached the bottom in a matter of seconds, laughing.

"That was amazing!" He cried to Xay and Hels, grinning. They grinned back.

"Oh, right," he whispered, standing up and moving to the side. "Down!" He yelled up to Scar, who zoomed down a few seconds later.

He grinned and stood up. "That was awesome!"

Grian nodded energetically, grinning back. "I know!" He turned to Hels and Xay. "Hey, do you wanna swing with us?"

The two kids exchanged a glance. "Yeah, sure," they said in unison, then followed Scar and Grian over to the swing set.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Word Count: 1050

Cute little kid au fluff :D

Hope you enjoyed, see you in the next one!

~Ax