Chapter 16 ~ Kicking up Sparks, or Crushing Men's Toes

On our way towards the outskirts of the city, I made my usual stop in at a bakery with Gavroche, and having acquired the bread and the apple puff, he disappeared on errands of his own. 

"Why do you put up with him?" Grantaire asked, when the boy had run off.

"You don't like him?"

"I have no reason to dislike the lad, but I can't help wondering whether he spends time with us because he likes your company, or because you supply him with food."

"I don't always. And he seems to like my company. And as for him coming into the Musain - well - being amongst all you students makes him feel grown up. Even if he is only tolerating me because I feed him now and then, he's useful when it comes to the interviews. The way he can talk his way into a conversation with anyone - it makes things easier for me."

He shrugged. "If you say so."

"You think he isn't deserving of charity?"

"I suppose I just don't see what good it'll do in the long run."

"You'd rather he died?"

" No. But what will he do when he grows up? How will he support himself?"

"He'll find a way. And with the learning to read - that should help him in the long run."

Grantaire laughed. "You're too generous to all of us."

"Generous? I have almost nothing, and give even less! What I do have is thanks to Enjolras, Joly, and Combeferre."

"I don't mean like that. I mean with your words, and time, and thoughts. You seem to think highly of almost everyone. Even me. And God knows I don't deserve that."

Trying to change the subject, I asked what he and Jehan had been talking about last night. 

"That book of poetry Mabeuf lent me." He shrugged. "I don't pretend to understand any of it. Don't see why they can't just write in plain language."

I looked at him, unconvinced. "You have at least read some of it?"

"One or two of the poems. Number 20 - the one you said I should read."

"And?"

"What?"

"Don't deliberately misunderstand me! What did you think of it?"

He shrugged again. 

"I'll confess that our first conversation about Enjolras made me think of it," I continued. "I don't wish to make things worse for you, and feel free to tell me to shut up if you'd rather, but I - "

"Not at all. And you're right. That poem - and the others in that set - they fit, perfectly. Perhaps too perfectly. For all that I try and ignore things - block them out in any way I can - at least I know I'm not the only one to feel such things. I'd never be able to write such things, but maybe reading them..."

"And Jehan?"

"I haven't said anything to him. Not directly. But..."

"You're not exactly subtle. Anyone with half a brain can tell. Even just the way you look at him."

"Yes, I suppose everyone knows. Except..."

"Except him."

"I wish he'd look at me the way he looks at you."

"I'm sorry."

"What for? It's hardly your fault! Like Jehan said to you however many months ago - no one can choose who they fall in love with."