Chapter 43 ~ Survive the Winter

Being a Tuesday evening, the Musain was, thankfully, not too busy. Eponine was somewhat hesitant about ordering food, but eventually we agreed on a pie, and a plate of bread and cheese, on the grounds that the pie would be something warm and cooked, and that the bread and cheese could be picked at slowly over the course of the evening, so she didn't over fill her stomach all in one go. 

We went and sat in one of the corners, close to the fire, and waited for Louison to bring the food and some water. Grantaire was there, half insensible, while Feuilly was sat with Combeferre, discussing a book that was upon the table between them. I didn't like to bother them, and figured that I'd let Eponine settle in slightly before asking Combeferre about chilblains.

It wasn't long after Louison brought the food in that Courfeyrac, Bahorel, and Rosalie arrived, with Gavroche at their heels. He seemed mildly astonished to see his sister, but came and sat with us anyway, chattering enthusiastically about a dispute Bahorel had got into with a street seller on the way to the Musain. His picking at the bread and cheese intended for Eponine didn't entirely surprise me, but another plate would be easily enough ordered if either of them were still hungry. Eventually, he asked me for the book, so that he could show Eponine how he had learned to read. She sat quietly, listening to him while slowly eating the pie with her feet stretched out so they were as close to the fire as she could get them.

On the arrival of Musichetta, Bossuet, and Joly, I went to ask Joly if he wouldn't mind having a look at Eponine's chilblains. His immediate reaction was one of horror, at seeing her sat so close to the fire.

"Too much warmth is entirely the wrong thing for chilblains! It's like putting ice on a burn - it'll do far more harm than good."

"Just go gently with her - the last thing I need is her being scared away by your panicking over her! I know you mean well, and I may be worrying needlessly, but she seems really quite fragile."

Musichetta came over with us as I went to introduce Joly to Eponine.

"He's a medical student, so might be able to help you a little. Though by the sounds of things, the best thing currently will be for you to move your feet away from the fire a little - too much heat will do you no good."

"She's Gavroche's sister?" Musichetta asked me quietly, as Joly gently examined Eponine's hands.

"Yes. Hopefully the warmth and food will do her a little good, and I'd imagine the company might help too. It's quite difficult to draw her out of herself, but hopefully she'll become more confident."

"Is he a good doctor?" Eponine asked me, as Joly went to ask a second opinion of Combeferre.

"I'd say so," I smiled, "Though I haven't seen many doctors. It was him and Combeferre who sewed my face up - I dread to think what would have happened if they hadn't."

"What payment will they want? I don't have anything, really. Except..."

I shook my head. 

"They won't need any payment. And certainly not that. They want to help people - everyone here wants to help people, especially those less well off than themselves. Not that they always know the best way to go about it - as I'm sure you can tell, they're all fairly well off and haven't really known hardship. But they're willing to learn."

"They really don't expect anything?"

"No - nothing. I promise."

She went back to picking at the pie, while the noise level around us rose. It was Joly and Combeferre glanced over at Eponine now and then, and I could hear words like 'footbath,' 'glycerine,' and 'horseradish,' float over towards us. I was surprised at the fact that Enjolras wasn't yet here, but was soon distracted by the arrival of Jehan with Marguerite - clearly he had persuaded her to come after all.