Chapter 3: Missing Student

"This table will do!" Calvin exclaims as he places his lunch on the table. Aiden and Alan follow him.

"So, where do we start?" Aiden asks with his cheerful eyes. He is completely absorbed in it. Alan is curious about Calvin's clue as well, but he uses this chance to keep Calvin from posting posters.

"Eula Es is a missing 2nd year senior high school student." Calvin starts off like he is leading a mystery case in a TV show. "She was last seen in the library, borrowing a drawing book."

Clara once told Alan that Calvin is obsessed with mysteries or anything detective-related. He once investigated a missing dog in primary school and it took six hours to find it. The next year, it only took 3. In junior high school, it took half an hour. In his senior year, he was invited by his father, who is chief of the police, to investigate a kidnapping case. Not sure how much he contributed back then, but there was no slander. So Alan never underestimates him. "Who saw her?" Alan asked with interest.

"The librarian saw her," Calvin answers. "She says Eula usually borrows novels. It's the first time she borrowed a drawing book."

"Maybe she just wants to try something new," Aiden adds.

"That is possible. But that is not important."

"Okay, so what's the clue?" asked Alan.

"It was around 8 at night. I was on my way home from the supermarket. At that time, I heard a scream." Alan and Aiden leaned in, sensing an action. "I walked there to see if someone needed help. After searching for a while, I found a large green book in an alley. I checked the contents, and it has our school's stamp on it."

"There could be two books and someone else drops them," Alan guessed.

"I asked the librarian, and she confirmed that there was only one book."

"So you're saying that someone kidnapped Eula Es?" Aiden asks.

Calvin nodded. "Seems likely."

Alan is not surprised by Calvin's reasoning, although most of it was from luck. "Have you reported this to your dad?" Alan asks.

"No, I want to do this myself."

"Huh? Why? You want to be her hero or something?" Alan revolted.

"No, it's just that working with police is not challenging enough." Even Aiden looks dumbfounded by Calvin's unexpected remark. Despite his love of mystery and adventure, he has always been a respectable and responsible senior. It seems like he is entering his rebellious phase. Noticing the change, Alan tries his best to convince him. "You are Calvin Callahan, not Sherlock Holmes, who has an engine of a brain. You're also a high school student who needs to focus on college, and you're a human with only one life!"

"All the reasons we should do this!" Calvin's eyes brighten.

"Wait, we?" Alan asked.

"Of course! I can't investigate alone, and you two are my most trusted friends."

Alan is dumbfounded by Calvin's contradictory behavior. "That's sweet and all, but what if we get caught?"

"Mister Carney worries about your grades. He said they are falling when you are focusing on Eula." Aiden joined in. He must be concerned for Calvin.

"Guys, this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I'll have my last day of school next June, and I won't see you guys again. I want to create memorable memories with you guys." Alan is a little embarrassed by Calvin's comment. He just remembered that Calvin could also be sentimental. "Besides, I also have another clue. I smelled alcohol when I picked up the book at the alley, and it's the same smell from the supermarket. This could lead us to the kidnapper!"