Chapter 8: Unexpected Encounter

Who is that? Alan is hesitant to react in this sudden encounter. He senses a familiarity with the unknown creature, he ponders for a while. Has he seen this unknown creature before? Has he met with it? Has he walked past it? Has he run away from it? It took a couple of seconds for him to realize that the unknown creature's appearance is identical to the small furred brown Corrumpos who ate human fingers, except it's stature is almost as big as him.

At the time Alan ponders, the Furred Corrumpo dash to Alan, extending its huge sharp claw to Alan's face. Before it reaches, Emmet shoves Alan to the wall leading the furred Corrumpo falls to the ground. Emmet pulls Alan's arm and sprint to the staircase, the Corrumpo jumps up and chases them.

Along the run, Alan follows Emmet with a blank face. His thoughts are blurred from the unexpected confrontation. The things that he is currently conscious of are the classes he passes, the sound of loud footsteps, and the ghastly cries of the chasing Corrumpo.

"Alan, watch out!" Emmet's shout made Alan turn around, looking at the Corrumpo who is in mid air, attempting to pin down Alan. Emmet hurriedly jumps and shoves the Corrumpo. Emmet swing his fist to the Corrumpo's face. But it bite Emmet's arm, tearing with it's rough teeth as the blood spurts, covering the Corrumpo's fur.

"Emmet!" Alan reacted. Emmet's legs give in, let out a blood-curdling scream. The Corrumpo hurriedly stands up, showing its frightening teeth

Quinia and Preston show up. Quinia notice Emmet's dismembered, blood covered arm on the floor. "Emmet!" Quinia's call alerts the Corrumpo. Face to face with the bloody, horrifying Corrumpo, Quinia lets out an intense wail. Strong enough to hurt every other's ears, even the Corrumpo. Among everyone here, Alan suffered the most. Quinia's wail made his legs go numb and his ears feel cracked. He wanted to run away. He wanted to scream. He wanted to escape this school, this world, this nightmare. His inexperience in the paranormal world is his biggest setback.

He starts to remember it. The chaotic, dark dust surrounding his mind. It obscures his vision, for which would bring him death. Alan started to pants as his spirit became distressed. AS death is about to visit Alan's soul, Preston swiftly carries him to the nearest class. He holds Alan's face and caresses it gently, "Control your breathing, boy."

Alan grabs Preston's hand when he becomes self-aware. "P-P-Pres-ton?" Alan is too mentally troubled to speak clearly.

"You're okay, Alan. You're safe, now." Preston's words soothe Alan's soul. His mind has started to heal as he regains his consciousness.

"Where's Emmet?" Alan asked out of worry.

"He is with Quinia, they are hiding on the upper floor," said Preston. Alan lets out a deep sigh of relief.

He scans his surroundings, he is in an empty classroom. Before Alan wants to ask, he hears Corrumpo's cry. He is stunned as the sound of footsteps slowly closes in. Preston swiftly grabs Alan's shoulder, "Activate your socius."

"Huh?" Alan is bewildered.

"You need to activate your socius in order to fight that thing."

"What? Why should I fight it? What even is a socius?"

Preston's face shows pure confusion, "You don't know anything do you?"

"Do I look like I know something?" Alan covers his mouth as soon as he realizes he is too loud.

Preston contemplates for a moment. He remembers how Emmet chases Alan from the pharmacy to this school. It is clear that Alan is faster than Emmet as the distance is about 800 meters. But that evidence defies Preston's logic. It is impossible for a lost human who doesn't know anything about the Shadow world could outrun a ghost who has 5 years of experience. It would require skills and a certain amount of Anima Energy to enhance their speed. Preston wonders whether Alan is a prodigy.