a Mother's secret!

"Good morning, come in" Babylon spoke as he used his hand to usher Mr. Rainyman into his office. It was a bit rainy out and the clouds were dark which made the room have an eerie aura.

   At the desk, Mr. Rainyman sat down and crossed his right leg over his left. He wore a silky black suit with a red and white striped tie today, and his shoes sparkled like a brilliant star. He had gotten a new haircut that morning and colored his beard and hair black. Almost looking like a completely different person.

   For a while, the two sat silently staring at each other. They didn't like one other, and Mr. Rainyman was fuming inside because someone had finally outdone him. He was a fierce competitor both at work and at home who hated it when the ball wasn't in his court. Babylon mocked him with a smile, and Mr. Rainyman envisioned him slamming his head into the wall. But he was aware that if he assaulted an officer, he would be arrested.

Mr. Rainyman grunted. He took a thumb drive out of his jacket pocket and slid it to the sheriff. The sheriff looked at it then back at him.

"That's all of it?"

Mr. Rainyman shook his head. Babylon opened his drawer, eyes still on him then slid the hard drive into the drawer and closed it. For the next minute they stared into each other's souls until Mr. Rainyman broke the tension.

"What can we do to end this little... rivalry?"

"You tell me, you're the one who seems to be putting a hell of a lot on the line to protect his daughter. And I get it, I'm a parent too, but you have to know she did something or thinks she did something which is why you're doing this much. Am I right... or am I wrong?"

"My daughter did nothing. I'm trying my best because her future and everything is on the line here. I've seen her stay up hours and go into an exam room on only two hours of sleep, no breakfast and still pass. Just because she's working to be someone great. And I am not going to let something like this stain her career and take her down. So... pl- " he rolled his eyes "please tell me how we could end this" he hated saying please. It made him feel weaker and inferior.

    Babylon lingered in his thoughts for a second.

"Do you know where your daughter was that night?"

"Yes, she was with me you can check my social media I posted a picture at the restaurant we went to that night. We weren't even close to here. We were out of the island"

"Good. Get all this evidence on lock. We weren't really looking at her too closely anyways. We're mostly looking at Dustin and Carson. We just think the others are either hiding for them or are being blackmailed into hiding for them"

"I promise you... my daughter is not and would never do that!"

"Ok then. If you can get me anything on any of the other kids that could solidify that Beth isn't apart of the case I'll make sure she's out of it... for good"

    The two smiled at each other. Mr. Rainyman looked out the window and almost threw his fist in the air. He then turned back around and the two shook hands. He then started to trail out the door but then came back.

"I just wanted to say I'm sorry for everything that happened between us in secondary school"

"Nothing didn't 'happen' between us. YOU called me names. YOU treated me like a dog you were dangling treats over to kick again and again. And you're still attempting to do it today. So, before I get pissed off I advise you to get the fuck out of my office!"

    And so he did.

9:15 a.m
   A call from Beth's father arrived a little over fifteen minutes ago. He claimed that he needed to meet with her in order to talk about the recent developments in the case with their homes being searched and to give her some money. She put on her clothes and went to his car outside after that. Even while his car was still running, the windshield wipers were operating at full capacity. Her father appeared menacing as she slid into the passenger seat.