12. Following In Dad's Footsteps

Tatum stood in the dining room helping Mindy set the table. Her mind was racing to all the possible suspects. It could be anyone she was close to and she didn't want to imagine what that could mean.

"How are you doing with everything?" Mindy asked, bringing Tatum out of her thoughts. "I've been better, but I guess this is my life now," Tatum said with a shrug. "I'm sorry about what I said about your mom and Kirby," Mindy said.

"It's okay. It's the rules of a franchise. It's just how it works, I get it," Tatum said and Mindy gave her a confused and worried look. "You are unsettlingly calm about the whole thing," Mindy said.

"Maybe on the outside I am, but I am definitely not calm on the inside," Tatum said letting out a shaky breath. "I'm just trying to make sure I think straight so I don't die," Tatum joked and Mindy gave her a small smile. "I suppose it is better than freaking out," Mindy said.

"What can I say? I'm officially a professional at this whole Ghostface thing now," Tatum said knowing that now that she's had the experience, it may go easier. "We all are at this point," Mindy said and the Mindy looked at Tatum with a smile.

"So, Tate, I have a question for you about a certain curly-haired dorky boy," Mindy said and Tatum tried to hide her smile. "What is it?" Tatum asked.

"Do you like him?" Mindy asked and Tatum hesitated for a moment. "You do. I fucking knew it. I think I'm too good at this," Mindy said and Tatum gave her a weird look. "I didn't even say anything," Tatum said with a laugh.

"You didn't have to. You had this dorky little smile on your face that you only have when you like someone," Mindy said.

"Okay, maybe I like him a little," Tatum said and Mindy raised her eyebrows at her. "A little?" Mindy asked and Tatum playfully rolled her eyes. "Maybe not a little," Tatum said, and then she noticed Tara and Chad in the kitchen. "Look," Tatum said as she pointed at the two of them.

Mindy started to pretend to throw up. "Will you two just make out already?" Mindy asked and Tatum laughed at the comment. It was clear to everyone that Tara has had a crush on Chad for a while and now it was finally happening and Tatum couldn't be happier.

"That is so inappropriate, dude," Chad said.

"Oh. Whatever," Mindy said as she walked away looking for Sam. Then Tatum's phone buzzed in her back pocket and her smile dropped. She pulled it out, scared to look at who it was. She relaxed once she saw it was her mom. She let it ring through as she placed it back into her pocket.

Then she felt her phone buzz again. This time telling her it was a text instead of a call. She looked at the text and read it.

Mom
Hey, I'm sorry about the book. I know I overstepped. Can you come over for dinner or lunch so we can talk?

Tatum just stared at her phone, not exactly knowing how to respond. She just left it for now and walked into the kitchen with the others. Trying to cover up any emotion that they could possibly see.

"We don't have to stay here," Mindy said.

"Well, too bad. I insist. Safety in numbers," Sam said and Tatum looked around the group. Victoria, Liam, and Ethan weren't there. Some were at school others didn't give a reason.

"This'll be so fun. A little slumber party with the Core Six, minus Vicky!" Chad said.

"'Core Six?" Sam asked.

"Yeah," Chad said.

"Did you just give us a nickname?" Tara asked.

"I sure did. We've been through a lot together and it's a pretty cool nickname," Chad said.