2

"Is there anything else I can get you?" I chimed to the family of four, clicking my blue pen as I had finished scribbling down their order on my notepad. I was smiling at each and every word I had spoke to ensure all four of them knew that I cared about their wellbeing.

The seemingly happy family consisted of a mother, father and two young boys, presumably the sons of the doting couple. The two boys were no older than the age of ten, at most.

"Hot chocolate!" The youngest boy blurted out, full of cheesy smiles himself. I nodded, kissing my teeth and clicking my pen again as I scribbled and finished the order.

I had then picked up the menus which they'd no longer need... making my way over to the transom window, I teared off the order from my notepad, hanging it up on the string with a clip.

"What table number?" Bruno the manager had asked with a head tilt, inspecting the order with small squinted eyes.

"Six." I'd exhale, tapping the counter twice as I turned my back to him, leaning against the counter. "Quite busy for opening day, hm?"

"What can I say? We're a magnífico café, after all." He cockily asserted with a shrug blind to my range of sight, leaning himself forward with his elbows propped up on the other side of the counter than I.

"Best café in Barça, of course." The sarcasm in my voice spoke in volumes, a volume in which I wasn't exactly fond of. I mean, I wasn't planning on losing my job on the first day.

"Watch your tone, chica." Bruno protested in a stern voice, clearly not appreciating the sarcasm in the slighest. Although, I can't blame him.

Something I'd noticed is that even when speaking in English, Bruno seemed to love to add a Spanish word in here or there. Maybe he didn't know the word - or maybe he just preferred talking that way. Who knows?

"Yeah, yeah. Back to work I go." I sighed, staggering over to my next assigned table to take care of.

You may wonder what I mean by "assigned table". To clear up any confusion, when Sofia and myself were first introduced to the other members of staff and, of course, the new rules... we were each given specific tables to watch over. For example, I was instructed to watch over tables 1-14. Meanwhile, Sofia watched over 15-28.

Considering the somewhat miniature size of the café, a whole lot of tables could surprisingly fit into it. In fact, Bruno had spilled that from time to time, we'd be expecting some "Well Known Faces" Whatever that means.

I must say, taking into consideration that this was the first day of work, the time seemingly flew by like a ticking time bomb. Which - usually - never happens on first days for me.

First days are the beginning of something new, after all. They'll either be the start of something great, or they'll be the start of something you'll grow to regret. Actually, it's quite a lot like relationships if you really dwell or ponder on it for long enough.

Nevertheless, the end of not only my shift but also Sofia's was nearing. I didnt have or know the exact time of day, yet I noticed that less and less people were now popping in for a coffee or bite to eat...

Bruno was vigorously scrubbing the dirt off of specific tables as he hummed a song I'd never heard before to himself. Meanwhile, Sofia and I continued to take care of the presumably last customers of the day.

My table was a polite pair, thankfully. A woman and a man, to be exact. Both of them seemingly older. Something that I found strange was that they were dressed rather formally. She, the woman, wore a black tank top, black jeans, black boots and to top it all off, a blush pink unbuttoned blazer. Whereas the man wore grey suit pants, a blue and white shirt, loafers and a simple black buttoned blazer.