4

Amaia abruptly woke up to the sound of her alarm clock blaring in her ear. She rubbed her eyes and groggily sat up in bed. She took a quick glance at her phone and saw that it was already 8:30 AM. She had to be at work in half an hour to prepare for the special family and she was still in bed. She quickly got up and rushed to the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash her face.

Then, she went to her closet to pick out her clothes for the day. She decided on a black skirt and a white blouse, something classic yet chic. She quickly put them on and went to the kitchen to grab some breakfast. She poured herself a bowl of cereal and sat down on a stool at the counter to eat.

As she was eating as quickly as she could, Sofia walked into the kitchen. "Morning, Amaia." She yawned. "We're up late, aren't we?"

"Hey." She sighed, getting off the stool and placing the bowl in the sink. "Yeah, running a bit behind. I'm trying to get ready as fast as I can," Amaia replied, her mouth forming a line as her eyebrows knitted together.

"Well, you better hurry up because we're both working the morning shift at the café today and you have those customers to serve. We can't be late!" Sofia snapped.

"I know, I know, I'm trying my best. I just can't seem to find my keys anywhere," Amaia said, exasperated.

"Did you check the sofa? That's usually where you put them," Sofia suggested with a shrug, pouring herself a glass of orange juice.

"Yeah, I checked there already. I think I might have left them at the café yesterday," Amaia said with her hand moving to her forehead, worry consuming her.

"Well, we need to leave in five minutes, and it takes us roughly ten minutes to even walk there," Her friend replied, clearly become impatient as she took a peek at her watch.

"I know, I know. I'm sorry. I'll try to hurry up and find them," Amaia groaned,  starting to feel herself become flustered.

"Okay." Her lips smacked. "But we really can't be late so get your skates on. We have a lot of customers coming in today, and we need to be prepared," Sofia said, trying to calm her down.

"I'm doing my best. Can you help me look for my keys, please?" Amaia pleaded, hoping Sofia would say yes.

"Sure, I'll help. But you need to hurry up and finish getting ready. You need to brush your hair and put on your shoes," Sofia said, grabbing her bag.

"It'll not take long for that."

As Amaia and Sofia frantically searched for Amaia's keys, they could hear the clock ticking away. Tick, tick, tick. Every second that passed made them grow more and more anxious. Amaia could feel her heart racing as she tried to remember where she last saw her keys.

"Check your purse again, Amaia. Maybe they're in there," Sofia suggested, her voice tinged with urgency.

Amaia quickly rummaged through her purse, but there were no keys to be found. She felt like she was going to be physically sick. She couldn't afford to lose her keys. She needed them to open up the café.

"Sofia, I can't find them. I don't know what to do," Amaia said, her voice trembling.

"Okay, okay, don't panic. We'll figure something out. Maybe we can ask one of our coworkers to open the café for us," Sofia said, trying to be reassuring.

"But what if they're not there? What if we're late?" Amaia said, feeling like everything was falling apart.

"Amaia, calm down. We'll find a way to make it work. We'll get there, and we'll open the café. We just need to keep looking," Sofia spoke in a mutter, putting a hand on Amaia's shoulder.