Chapter 6 - Carmen

I don't know what I expected from a military funeral, I've never been to one before, but I just feel so weird

I don't know what I expected from a military funeral, I've never been to one before, but I just feel so weird. Everyone is treating me like the weeping widow. Coming to shake my hand, offer me words of comfort and when they handed me the flag during the ceremony, I wanted to give it back, I didn't feel like I deserved it.

Now, with my back to the wall and a wine glass in my hand I watch the wake. There are so many soldiers here. I didn't even know Jimmy knew this many people. And they all have a story, funny or heroic, that just make me realise I don't think I really knew Jimmy. But let's face it we were apart more than we were together and in the few years we were on and off he cheated so many times we fought more than we loved.

Which is why being able to talk to Addy has helped so much. She was married to a soldier years ago, they just happened to go to vegas and ended up getting married, but looking back she doesn't think it was really love and they spent most of their marriage apart. She felt the same as me when her husband was killed in action and talking it through with her has really helped, she seems so nice. She even invited me to hang out with her girlfriends.

She's also given me information on Mike. I couldn't bite my tongue, I had to ask about him. I haven't been able to get him out of my head, I keep thinking about that night at Scars and how amazing the kiss felt, how caring he was when he told me about Jimmy and then last night. Last night blew my mind, I could've let him take me in the filthy bathroom of the bar, I wanted him so badly I didn't care.

"Hey Cammy, how you holding up?" I'm pulled from my fantasy by Addys voice and I look up at her sympathetic smile

"I'm alright." I smile sadly

"You know you don't have to stick around if it gets too much." She says, but it's bad enough I'm fantasising about another man at my ex's funeral, I can't just walk out.

"I'll be ok." I nod trying to look strong

"Let me introduce you to my man Doc." She says stepping to the side to reveal a tall, dark haired man in a suit

"Good to meet you Cammy." He says holding out his hand, I recognise him immediately, he's a member of the motorcycle club in the town, the Broken Demons. Though I already knew Addy was a biker old lady, she talks about her man a lot, it's cute, I've never had a love like that. Mikes sister Scarlett is an old lady too, they're like one big family.

"Good to meet you too. I've heard a lot about you." I smile taking his hand.

"If you need anything I'll be around til the end, just come find me, ok?" Addy assures me and I nod before she disappears into the sea of uniforms. Once I'm alone with my thoughts again my mind swirls with guilt, it's all so loud in my head. His mom should be here. She's the one who should've taken the flag, mourning the loss of her son, but I wanted to protect her. Did I do the right thing? Her health is declining rapidly, this all might have been too much for her, but she has a right to be present and involved in her sons funeral. I already did anything I could for her before Jimmy died, taking her snacks and toiletries, any clothes she needed, visiting her when I can and taking her favourite flowers. Now Jimmy is gone I will continue to do whatever she needs until the end.