Cognitive Distortions

The quoted definition of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, commonly known as CBT, from the Oxford Language Dictionary is: "A type of psychotherapy in which negative patterns of thought about the self and the world are challenged in order to alter unwanted behavior patterns or treat mood disorders such as depression and so-on."  CBT is a short term type of therapy that typically lasts between 6 and 20 sessions, but could be less or more dependent on the person and situation. Quoted from the Beck Institute; "Cognitive Behavior Therapy (CBT) is a time-sensitive, structured, present-oriented psychotherapy that has been scientifically tested and found to be effective in more than 2,000 studies for the treatment of many different health and mental health conditions." Treatment for CBT includes - helping to identify, analyze, and re-organize unhealthy and negative thoughts in people.
What you think, what you feel, and what you do affect and interact with each other.  The key to CBT is that our thoughts are an interpretation of our reality.  Thoughts are like glasses that let you see the world one way or another.  By changing our thoughts and behaviors, we can change the way we see the world and the way we feel.
There are 12 different types of cognitive distortions, also commonly known as 'thinking traps' or unhelpful thinking styles.  The first cognitive distortion is "Mind Reading" which is when you assume you know what others are thinking or feeling. The second cognitive distortion is "Negative Focus" which is when you ignore the positive aspects and only see the negative ones. The third cognitive distortion is "Catastrophizing" which is when you expect the worst case scenario to happen. The fourth type of cognitive distortion is "labeling" which is when you label yourself or others negatively such as "I'm such a loser." The fifth type of cognitive distortion is called "should-thinking" this is when you have rules or expectations for how things or people should be/act. The sixth type of cognitive distortion is "Overgeneralizing" this is when a single negative event occurs and you believe it is a pattern.  The seventh cognitive distortion is "Emotional Reasoning" which is when you believe that how you feel is evidence or reflects reality. The eighth type of cognitive distortion is "Fortune-telling" this is when you think the future is set in stone and the outcome is sure. The ninth cognitive distortion is "Personalization" this is when you feel personally responsible or guilty for things you cannot control. The tenth type of cognitive distortion is "Owning the truth" this is when you are certain you are right and your opinion is the truth. The eleventh type of cognitive distortion is "Just-world thinking" this is when you think that everything in the world will be balanced fairly. The twelfth and final cognitive distortion is "control fallacy" this is when you assume you can control everything that happens in your life.