16: The Groping Delusion

Good morrrrrning cuties :) (Or afternoon, evening or night, depending where you are in the world!) Hope you're all doing great :) Thanks for the hilarious and lovely reaction to the last chapter - I get so many lovely and long comments on this story and it really makes me feel so loved and I melt and asdfghjkl basically I love you all immensely. Hope you enjoy this chapter, and I would love to know what you think :) (Also, I think this is the first time in about twelve chapters I've not apologized for something, so WHOOP WHOOP - it's a record ;)) (Dedicated to Lara because she made me laugh so much with her comment it's ridiculous.)

16: The Groping Delusion

The show itself - despite the soon-forgotten jealousy that had plagued my mind earlier that evening -was insanely emotional, to say the least.

I was one of the first to my feet at the very end, vision blurry as I simultaneously cried and cheered, yanking Griffin up by the hand to stand up with me. Rapturous applause broke out through the room as the cast all walked onto the stage and bowed, exhilarated whistles sounding.

Tears were still streaming down my face as Griffin and I eventually left the theater afterwards, having to resort to wiping my hand across my eyes to get rid of the water collected in them, smearing mascara across my face. I didn't even care about the small detail of me being a gross crier, nose running and makeup ending up where it wasn't supposed to be.

'Here, love.' A tissue was thrust into my hand by a woman who was walking past with her husband. I didn't catch a proper glimpse of her face before she was gone, leaving me to choke out a grateful 'Thank you!' to thin air.

I imagined that a lot of guys would have been flabbergasted and a bit embarrassed if the person they had come to see the show with was blubbing as hard as I was. Griffin, on the other hand, looked amused and sympathetic.

'Aw GG,' Griffin said once we were stood outside, putting an arm around my shoulders and pulling me close towards him. Instinctively, I turned and tucked my head into the crook of his neck, still full-on sobbing. I was probably making his shirt all wet and disgusting, but I became completely uncaring as both of his arms wrapped fully around me.

'I didn't know you were the type to get emotional over this kind of stuff!' he murmured, rubbing a hand over the top of my head affectionately, his mouth by my ear. The warmth bleeding off and out of him was enough to start a fire inside of me, the feeling spreading from my chest through my entire body, right to the tips of my toes inside my boots.

'I'm not usually,' I sniffed, rubbing my nose and hiccuping. 'It's just – they just – I was not expecting that ending. And those songs, Griffin, those bloody songs - make sure Gold or Falling Slowly are played at my funeral or something.'

Griffin laughed, the rumbling sound in his chest travelling through him and through me with a little coinciding sigh, making me close my eyes to try and melt into the rich sound and feeling. If an earthquake was happening to signify the end of the world as we knew it, I wouldn't mind just being held like this by him, engulfed in his embrace and his lovely, gentle scent.

We stood there for goodness knew how long – seconds or minutes – until a chorus yelled from a distance, 'Get a room!'

The sudden statement made us spring apart immediately, turning to look at wherever the voices had come from, and seeing a small group of teenagers cackling and running in the opposite direction from the theater. When I looked back at Griffin, the spell had been broken, guilt coating his face as he rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly, unable to fully meet my gaze as embarrassment clouded his face.

'Inappropriate kids, these days, hey,' Griffin said with a bit of a false laugh, letting his hand fall back down to his side as awkwardness filled the space between us.