Chapter 7

Maxwell~

Rogue stiffened in my arms. "Don't you dare, Maxwell Colter."

"Then are you going to calm the hell down?" I asked.

She didn't say anything for a while, but when she finally did, she asked, "What in the hell was all that about, Maxwell?"

"It's a long story, but the town treated Brett's fiancé like crap for over ten years," I explained, still feeling that pang of guilt whenever I thought about it. "Back in high school, some guys had begun spreading awful rumors about her, and because she was poor, everyone sort of just...believed it."

"Well, that's bullshit," she huffed.

"Very much so," I agreed. "Anyway, Brett's been in love with Addie since like their sophomore year of high school or something like that, but because he had already chosen to go into the military, he ended up leaving things as is." I tucked a random strand of hair behind Rogue's ear as she got comfortable in my lap. "Fast forward ten years, Brett finally got his head out of his ass, asked her out, all hell broke loose, the truth finally came out, then Addie rubbed everyone's hypocrisy in their face, and now everyone's vying for an invitation to their wedding to erase their shame."

"Wow."

"Yeah, wow," I chuckled.

"To make matters worse, the Campions got invited, so now everyone thinks that they got a chance at going to the wedding."

"Why did the Campions get invited but no one else did?" she asked, and she genuinely sounded interested.

"Quest and Addie have this weird...friendship of sorts," I said, trying to explain. "I think it's because they're both used to having rumors spread about them."

"That's awful." Rogue pulled back to look at me, her face looking beautifully upset. "What kind of town did I move to?"

"It's not that bad," I semi-lied. "Just...small towns."

"So, our server was just pissed, thinking that I was invited?" I nodded. "That's insane, Maxwell."

"Why don't you ever call me Max?"

"Because I'm still making up my mind on whether or not you're a jerk," she replied, and that had me barking out a laugh.

"I'm definitely a jerk," I told her. "But if it's any consolation, next to Clayton, I'm a prince."

Letting out a sigh, Rogue tucked her head underneath my chin. "So, what now? Because this first date has been one of the worst that I've ever had."

"I can always spread your legs and tongue my way to a successful first date if you'd prefer," I joked, but when she squirmed in my lap, that took my mind right down the gutter.

"Well, that's one way to salvage the night," she whispered, her voice sounding raw and...dare I say, eager.

I tightened my arms around her body. "The plan had been to take you to dinner, maybe a movie, then maybe a tour of the town. I swear to God, I had every intention of dropping you off at your doorstep untouched." I could feel her beginning to pant softly, and all that shit about treating her with respect in public was quickly becoming a thing of the past. "The plan had been to prove that I wasn't the arrogant jerk that you first met."

"Even though you are?"

"Even though I am," I chuckled softly. "Still, I'm not a douchebag, Rogue."

"I wouldn't be here if I thought you were, Max," she replied, shortening my name. "While you definitely didn't make the best first impression...well, I'm here. There's something about you that has me here with you."