Chapter 8

Rogue~

My entire body felt like it was officially addicted to Maxwell Colter's everything. I'd never had a man make my body sing like Max had just done, and that was saying something. Even confined to the limitations of the front seat of his car, Max had made me see just why his cocky attitude was worth it.

I also believed him about keeping me safe. You'd have to be a real sleazeball to pass an STD to a girl on purpose. Granted, I was ultimately responsible for my own safety, but you had to be a real dirtbag to put a person's health at risk simply because sex felt better without a condom.

"Are you okay?" Maxwell asked, one hand still on my hip, the other trailing up and down my back.

"Never been better," I whispered.

"I meant what I said, Rogue. I'd never hurt you. While this might sound like a line, you're the first woman that I've ever gone bare with, and the only reason that I did it was because I really plan on marrying you soon."

"Soon?" I chuckled softly. "Not one day?"

"Soon," he reiterated. "When you know, you know."

While it sounded sweet and romantic in that whirlwind kind of way, I wasn't taking the man seriously. Though I had nothing against a serious relationship with him, I usually didn't agree to marry a guy on the first date. A disastrous first date, no less.

Before I could say anything, a tap on the window had me remembering just where we were. Too late to pretend, I hopped off Maxwell's lap, letting out a low wince, doing my best to look presentable in the passenger seat.

After Maxwell put his dick back inside his pants and readjusted the seat, he lowered the foggy window, and I wanted to die of mortification when a face that looked just like Jax Colter's, including hazel eyes and all, peered through the opened window.

"Goddamn it, Max," the police officer swore, and the cop could only be Brett or Clayton Colter since I'd already met Jax. He looked to be in his early thirties, so my guess was Clayton Colter.

"How was I to know that you were pulling another double shift," Maxwell grumbled.

Officer Colter's eyes widened. "Because it'd be better if you'd been caught by someone else?"

"That's not-"

"Did a pipe burst in your house?" he asked, cutting Maxwell off. "A gas leak that we need to know about? Did it burn down or something?"

"What? No," Maxwell answered. "What in the hell are you talking about?"

Glancing over at me, he asked. "Are you homeless?"

"Wh...what?" I stammered.

"What the fuck, Clayton?" Maxwell snapped. "Why would you think that she's homeless?"

Clayton Colter looked back at his baby brother. "Because why in the hell else would you two be screwing in your car behind the diner like a couple of teenagers? If you have a home, and she has a home, then what was it about the diner parking lot that you guys found so damn romantic that you couldn't wait?"

I wanted to sink into the floor.

"Screw you, Clayton."

"I'm not the one getting screwed, Max," he shot back. "And if you think I'm not telling Dad about this bullshit, you're wrong."

My mortification was momentarily sidetracked by how Clayton Colter was actually threatening to tattle on his little brother to their dad. Even though there was seven years between them, it was easy to see how close they were. Never having had any siblings myself, it was interesting to watch.