Two

Two

Where am I?

Quickly sitting up, I frantically took in my surroundings.

I was lying on an old mattress in an ally next to a dumpster near the back door of a Chinese restaurant. I read the lettering on the door.

Lee's Chinese-American Cuisine.

How in the world did I get here? I wondered. Then I glanced down at the red robe covering me and the entire night came back to me.

"Lord, why did you place me here?" There was no answer.

"Are you all right?"

I raised my head sharply, looking up at the elderly Chinese man holding a bag of garbage. He carried it to the dumpster and threw it in.

"Are you okay?" he asked again and I realized I hadn't answered, thrown off by the entire sequence of events.

"I'm okay. Just in need of a job and a place to stay."

The man stared down at me for a long moment before finally extending a hand to me. I took it and he helped me to my feet.

"My name is Lee Cheng."

"You own this restaurant," I stated.

"I do."

"I'm Hadassah Kingston."

"How old are you, Hadassah?"

"Seventeen."

He rubbed his stubbled chin thoughtfully. "Come in. I'll feed you and you can tell me your story."

Lord? I questioned silently.

Go with him, beloved, came my Savior's voice.

Ten minutes later, I found myself sitting in the empty dining room with a plate of beef Lo Mein noodles, steamed vegetables and lemon chicken before me. Closing my eyes, I gave thanks for this feast. I had never seen that much food in my life. Growing up, food was always sparse in my home (the alcohol plentiful) and it seemed like I was always hungry. The food I did eat was never enough to fill me. Even now, standing at four-foot-six inches, the belt holding up my pants still wrapped around me twice.

Lee came from the kitchen carrying two glasses of lemonade. He placed one in front of me, then he sat in the seat across from me and sipped from the other glass.

"Eat, please," he said, gesturing to my food and I did so, attempting to eat slowly when I was completely ravenous. Still, I managed to let civility rule. It wouldn't do to wolf down the large meal and deal with a stomachache later.

"Thank you, Mr. Cheng."

"Call me Lee."

I nodded and continued to eat, studying my surroundings. The restaurant was small, the dining area holding only three tables and a few booths, but it was pristine in its cleanliness and the ethnic décor was lovely. I briefly glanced up at the red and gold silk floral lantern hanging over our table. The red walls were covered with an eclectic mix of Chinese fans, etched mirror squares, and small framed prints of plum blossoms. A small vase of silk pink plum blossoms adorned each table.

"This is nice," I said, swallowing a fork full of noodles.

Lee cast his gaze around the dining area, pride in his eyes. "Thank you. My wife and I moved here from China twenty-five years ago. We bought the restaurant a few months after arriving. With God's help, we worked hard to make it what it is today."

"Is your wife here?"

"No," he answered somberly. "She died three years ago. Now it's just me, my daughter, and a couple of devoted employees."

"I'm sorry about your wife." I could tell he loved her very much.

"It was God's will. He had another plan for her, a far greater one than she had for herself."

I saw Lee studying the robe I kept around me. "Beautiful garment." He looked into my eyes intently, a wide smile crinkling the corners of his eyes. "It is very special. You must hold on to such a priceless gift."

Does he know, Lord? But how could he–? Judging from the gentleness of his words, I could almost believe he did. And the longer he studied me, I felt certain he knew something.

After another few minutes of silence, Lee said, "Now, tell me your story."

I took one last sip of lemonade, then I shared everything. From making my bed on the floor in the hall closet each night (the apartment only had one bedroom), to the various forms of abuse I endured at the hands of my addict parents, to them overdosing the year before. I told him about the kind neighbor teaching me for years how to defend myself.

"Ever since they died, I've lived on the streets, doing odd jobs whenever I could, just for a little money to eat. I have spent most nights sleeping on the beach." I pause, wondering how much to share without him thinking I was a nutcase, then I decided to keep the sacred experience to myself.

"Last night was different . . . and I wound up sleeping behind your restaurant."

"You have no other relatives? No one you can go to for help?"

I shook my head no then asked him, "Do you believe in the Christian God?"

"I do." His answer was immediate.

"Would you believe me if I said that I was brought here by the Lord?"

His gaze was intent when he replied, "I would." He added, "And I know it was He who placed us here as well."

Lee was quiet for a moment, and it looked to me like he was either thinking or waiting for something. Then he smiled.

"We could use a dishwasher. That way, our two workers can both focus solely on prepping and cooking. The job will include a small studio apartment upstairs. Would you be interested?"

"Really?" I was incredulous because the offer was so unexpected. "I am definitely interested!" To have a job and a place to call home would be a dream come true for me.

"All right, you finish your meal and I will take you upstairs."

"Thank you!"

And thank you, Yeshua!

~~~~~

After kneeling and thanking God for His grace and goodness, I sat on the comfortable bed and again took in the beautiful room, awed that I now had a home, a safe place to sleep each night. The room was decorated in beige with red Asian accents, and the shuttered window was large, letting in a lot of late afternoon light. Beneath the window was an oriental dresser, in which I placed my meager belongings, adding the three pressed, short-sleeve black shirts and pairs of trousers–my work attire provided by Lee. A flat screen television sat on a console table in one corner, and a tall folding screen stood in the opposite corner. Chinese characters stretched from the top of the screen to bottom, accented by painted green plum blossoms. I made a mental note to ask Lee what the words were. I even had a lovely private bathroom, which was supplied with toiletries and everything else I would need. It was more than I could ask.

Walking over to the window, I looked down and watched people as they passed in either direction. Numerous restaurants and cafes lined the street. For a weekday, the area was bustling. As the sky began to darken, one by one, the lights of the surrounding eating establishments came to life, beckoning diners. I stood there until late before finally taking a long shower and turning in for the night. I would begin my dishwashing job early and I didn't want to be late.