Epilogue

Epilogue

The Present

It has been decades, and the view is still as beautiful as the last time I stood here. How amazing my life has been since then!

A month after calling off my wedding to Nathan, Ahasuerus and I were married by Reverend John, the man in whose home we met for church each week. I never knew I could be so happy and so blissfully in love.

We decided to spend our honeymoon at our home, a beautiful three-hundred-year-old restored plantation-style house Ahasuerus inherited from his parents after they retired and moved away, settling in Fiji.

Due to the years of childhood molestation, I had been nervous about our first night together, but I should not have worried. Ahasuerus had been infinitely tender with me, with all the care of a man holding a priceless treasure. I felt loved, adored, cared for, and safe. I will always feel safe with him.

The next year, we were blessed with a beautiful baby girl we named Kiya. Unfortunately, we were unable to have more children, but Kiya was the light of our life, and when she grew up, married, and moved away to Florida due to her husband's job, we missed her beyond measure. After many years of marriage, she finally gave birth to our adorable grandson, which is what brought us back to Orlando for a visit.

Ahasuerus's muscular arms are suddenly around me, drawing me from the memories. His thick graying hair waves in the breeze. He is sixty-one now, almost fourteen years older than me, and still as handsome as the first time I saw him, with barely a line on his face, with the exception of the small crinkles that appear around his eyes when he smiles. And he still treats me like a queen. Our friends call us the perpetual newlyweds because we are still so madly in love. We accept that title graciously. Often, Ahasuerus playfully calls me his Queen Esther and I smile, always responding with, "And the Lord brought us together for such a time as this!"

We stand together, watching the frothy waves roll inland. I had told him long ago of my incredible experience here, and he said he feels blessed to revisit this special place with me.

Closing my eyes, I listen to the melodic sound of the wind, and for a moment, I can almost feel Yeshua's presence. Then, opening my eyes, I briefly see His face, and He is watching us, smiling.

I love you, Lord, my mind whispers. Thank you for this wonderful life.

I love you too, my Hadassah, comes His gentle voice. You will both always be mine.

Eyes slipping shut again, I cling to Yeshua's robe folded over my arm and snuggle deeper in my husband's embrace.

And I am warmed by the knowledge that God is pleased with us.

The End