Thirty-One: Phone Calls

ANDREA RICHARDS

It was the first day of my senior year and as expected, I wasn't really used to the lack of presence of the guys. First day usually is exciting because its the time to welcome a new school year, where there would be new faces, new schedules, new activities, and many more. But this time, its a lot more different because half of our group isn't here anymore. Camille already left because she also has to attend school back in Chicago. Caroline and I were the only ones left.

As I was making to my first class, my phone buzzed in my pocket. I checked it and saw that Cole sent me a text message.

"Good luck on your first day! Wish I was there to spend the day with you. I miss you so much :("

The guys are out of town because they're working on some stuff for their singing career and they won't be back until a week or two. They're becoming more famous and their songs are also becoming hits and I'm so happy about it. I'm so proud of them. I know I sound like their manager even though I'm not.

I replied:
"Wish you guys were here, too. I miss you all so much, especially you. :( Tell them I said hi! :)"

I shoved my phone back into my pocket and began walking to my first class.

*

I felt so relieved that Caroline and I share the same time for lunch period.

Everything was different. We were seated on a table for two, and not on a table for seven. It was more quiet and everything was more organized compared before when the guys' phones were all over the table, when Will's books were always placed next to him and his food, when we always ask each other for help in our homeworks and other school stuff, and when they always make noise whenever they talk about the stuff they love.

"I miss the guys," Caroline told me.

"I know right?" I said, "The school seems like a lifeless place without them."

I glanced over the table we all used to occupy and saw that a new group of students were using it- probably a big group of sophomores. Caroline followed my gaze and probably thought the same thing.

"Memories," she muttered.

"The struggles of having friends who are a year older than you," I said.

*

two weeks later

"I'm finally done with my homework!" Caroline exclaimed as she slammed her notebook and book close, "How about you?"

"You've got to keep your voice down if you don't want us to be sent out of the library," I told her.

"I'm sorry," she said and laughed, "I just feel so happy that I don't have anything to do this weekend."

I laughed softly and continued on doing my homework. Homeworks are supposed to be done at home, but who cares? I don't want any homework interrupting me once I get home because I'll probably have a hard time trying to move my lazy ass to get to work on it there. Luckily, no tests were scheduled for next week and all we have is a couple of homeworks. No biggie.

"Charles is already outside the school waiting for us," Caroline said while she was holding her phone.

"Give me a few minutes," I told her.

After about five minutes, I was finally done and went to the shelves to place back the books I used.

As expected, Charles was there waiting for the two of us. He was leaning on his car while waiting for the Caroline and I to exit the school.