▹ EIGHT ;

☆ ⁺ « 𝐒𝐏𝐀𝐑𝐄 𝐀 𝐌𝐈𝐋𝐋𝐈𝐎𝐍 𝐂𝐑𝐄𝐃𝐈𝐓𝐒

content warning for descriptions of blood and gore.

★˚⋆ THERE WAS NO FLOOR BENEATH the scarlet carpet. Only a deep, fathomless darkness that stole your breath when you looked down at it. The carpet rippled like something alive as you put one foot in front of the other, approaching Zero, who reclined on a throne of pitch. The gold thread that swirled over his robes glimmered like starlight.

"Give me a job," you called to him. The words floated in the air, echoing strangely around you.

"Of course," Zero replied. All at once, you were in front of him. The teardrop jewel at his cheek emitted its own faint green light.

"You will steal for me a ring of kismet."

The words were ludicrous, although for some reason, that didn't register to you. You only nodded.

"What will you pay me?"

"Anything you desire."

You drew closer to Zero, suddenly intoxicated by his presence. He was a collapsing star, drawing you in with his gravity. You brought your fingers to his mask. Zero didn't stop you. He stayed still as stone, a half-smile pulling his lips.

When you lifted his mask, Zero's eyes were the dark, mesmerizing blue of blown glass. No. Not Zero's eyes.

You whispered his name. His smile unfurled and it pulled on your heart like the two were tethered.

"You promised me you wouldn't go to him. It was the one promise I ever asked of you."

"I have to. You know I do."

The space between the two of you disappeared as he brought his lips to yours. You didn't know if that meant he forgave you or not.

"Cap. Captain."

You opened your eyes. For a second, you couldn't remember where you were or what the flack had happened. But then the beige walls of the room came into view, along with Mista's face hovering above you.

Coco Jumbo. Lady Legarde. The Ferry and Inspector Asswipe.

"Is it time to switch?" you murmured groggily.

Mista frowned. "Trish is going to take over for you. You're coming with me."

You sat up, brushing the covers aside. "What happened?"

"I'll explain on the way. We need to go right now."

Worry coiled itself into the pit of your stomach. You and Mista slipped outside, passing by Trish and Coco Jumbo sitting outside the door. She looked up, mouthing, be careful, as you left. Trish always raised a stink whenever it was her turn for lookout. The fact that she'd let you go so easily was raising red flags.