▹ NINETEEN ;

☆ ⁺ « 𝐍𝐎𝐓 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄 𝐒𝐌𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐓𝐈𝐌𝐄 𝐉𝐀𝐈𝐋

★˚⋆ HIS EYES WERE THE SAME deep startling blue as the ocean. An amused half-smile played on his lips as you looked up at the gulls cawing overhead. Everything was so bright. It was like the vibrance had been turned all the way up.

"I got you that ring you wanted," he said. "I'm sorry it took so long."

"It didn't take that long. I forgot about it."

"But you were looking so hard for it." He gestured for you to come closer. The ring in his hand disappointed you with how dull it was.

"Are you sure this is it?"

Strands of dark hair blew loosely around his face. "Not really. Maybe it's not the ring. Sorry."

He closed the ring in his fist. Then he started walking towards the water, not stopping until it sloshed up against his ankles.

"Oh, can you bring it to me? It's sitting on my chair."

You reached for the mask that hadn't been there a second ago. The teardrop jewel glinted faintly.

"Can I put it on?" you asked.

He frowned. "No. You always ask that."

You ran your fingers across the mask's delicate filigree. It was gorgeous. It must have been modelled after old-world Venetian masks. By some inexplicable urge, you grasped the green jewel and pinched on it until it shattered.

"Why would you do that?" he roared. You flinched. He never raised his voice. Or maybe he did and you just didn't remember.

"I'm sorry. I just thoughtI wanted to find something."

The colour rose briefly in his face, but then he sighed and sank down until he was in the water. You went toward him, still holding the mask. It was only then that you realized the jewel had cut your finger. It stung as you kicked up saltwater.

"Don't you miss me?" he asked.

"No," you said, even though you did.

"You're lying," he said, even though his eyes were closed and there was no way he could have known.

"You were always a bad liar."

Knocking at the door woke you up. You took a moment to recover your senses before calling out, "What is it?"

"Sorry to wake you, Captain," Trish called from the other side. "Fugo made progress with Coco Jumbo. If you're ready, we're all in the bridge to see what he found out."

"I'll be there in a minute."

As you followed Trish down to the bridge, you couldn't help feeling a little uneasy. Your argument with Fugo still hung in the air, and you couldn't have been the only one who felt the palpable tension in the bridge. Thankfully, no one mentioned it, even as you and Fugo staunchly avoided eye contact.

[ FIRST OF ALL, I'D LIKE TO APOLOGIZE FOR MY MOST EGREGIOUS OVERSIGHT. ] Coco Jumbo began over the ship's speakers. [ I NEVER THOUGHT TO LOOK IN OWN SERVERS FOR INFORMATION ON POLNAREFF. SOMETHING PREVENTED ME FROM DOING SO, OTHERWISE I WOULD'VE TOLD YOU, SCOUT'S HONOUR. ]

"I won't go into the specifics, but there was some very sophisticated programming involved," Fugo said. "Whoever covered up that information was no amateur."