▹ TWENTY-ONE ;

☆ ⁺ « BIG ASS UGLY YELLOW BED

★˚⋆ YOU LIKED TO THINK YOU were a lot more courteous than most of the thieving crews out there, but it was impossible not to stare. Even JoJo had to pause mid-step, bewilderment overtaking his features. You were tempted to step through the doors again and make sure you had, in fact, actually entered Sector A. You looked to Cannolo to see if he would back out and call his bad but he just kept walking like he came here every other Saturday.

Sector A did not even remotely resemble a penitentiary anymore. There were no hexagon screens, no magcuffs and no patrol bots. And there wasn't one GA uniform in sight. Someone could have told you this was a retreat stop for tourists and you would have believed them. Everyone was just . . . sitting around. No one was restrained and they definitely weren't wearing the standard penitentiary garb. The screens had been disabled on the cells and each cell seemed to be a hub for a different activity. There were people vaping and scrolling through their holopads and gambling and laughing and oh there was chocolate fondue and a mega holoscreen and a pool table and it was just a grand old time.

It occurred to you then that criminals were not so much as locked up in Sector A as they were living their best lives there. It was chaotic, but no one seemed to be in abject misery.

"What is this?" JoJo asked. Your eyes were probably as wide as his.

"Oh, you don't know about this?" Cannolo asked, looking over his shoulder. He wove his way through people who patted him on the back and dapped him up like an old friend. "Figured the likes of you would."

To your surprise, several inmates actually called out your name. They smiled broadly at you, waving you in like some minor celebrity. You didn't know whether to be flattered or terrified.

"About time you got up here, eh, Cap?"

"Been waiting for you, sweet!"

"Oi, gotta chair over here with your name on it! Is the Captain any good at cards?"

"You're popular," JoJo noted quietly beside you. He looked like a canary among vultures and you couldn't help feeling bad for him.

"Don't know why. It's not like stealing holds a candle up to what these guys have done. What's up with all of this anyway, Cannolo?"

"Oh, it's all very illicit stuff," Cannolo said offhandedly. "A deal struck between the GA's and the big bad guys. Criminals get to use this sector as a safe zone while the GA's can pretend to the public that they've got 'em all locked up. Since the security's so 'tight', none of the public or lower GA's know any better. Where do you think the GA's get their money for so many new weapons?"

"So, anyone can get in here as long as they pay enough?" JoJo asked.

"Basically. Besides, there's a very specific brand of criminals here. If you killed, you're facing the law. But larceny, arson, auto theft, that's fair game."

You relaxed slightly at that. If you weren't up against seasoned murderers, your odds went up.

Through all of the hubbub, you managed to reach the cells at the very end. They were markedly quieter and didn't seem to have any strip poker or Russian roulette going on.

"Polpo, I brought the two you asked for," Cannolo said, rapping on the side of the last cell. He flicked his fingers off the brim of his hat. "That's my job done. Lemme know you're ready to leave." He paused. "You are here to get the Stand Arrow, right?"