Worth it

Avery pov
I woke up, suddenly remembering where I was. My life was an escapism, straight out of a movie. My gaze caught suddenly on the fireplace, and I found myself listening, wondering: Was anyone back there? You won't last a month in this house. I didn't think Grayson had meant that as a physical threat—and Oren certainly hadn't reacted as if my life were being threatened. Still, I shivered. I reached for my new tablet and saw what I had accidentally pulled up. It was a video of Drake.He was standing next to a reporter. The fact that his hair was combed told me that the interview hadn't been a total surprise. The caption across the screen read: Friend of the Grambs family.

"Avery was always a loner," Drake said on-screen.
"She didn't have friends."

I had Max—and that was all I'd needed.

"I'm not saying she was a bad person. I think she was just kind of desperate for attention. She wanted to matter. A girl like that, a rich old man..." He trailed off. "Let's just say that there were definite daddy issues."

I cut the video off there. I took the tablet and scrolled through the related videos—all of them interviews or think pieces, all about me. Former classmates. Coworkers. Libby's mom. I ignored the interviews until I got to one that I couldn't ignore. It was labeled simply:
Trinity Hawthorne. She wore a cream and black checked dress with gold buttons (outfit 3). Her hair was tied into a high, aggressive ponytail and her makeup was smoky. She looked beautiful, and dangerous. She looked like a Hawthorne. She looked like the kind of person who would live in this house. When she spoke, it was cold and hard.

"Good afternoon, ladies and gentlemen. My name is Trinity Hawthorne."

When did she even get the time to do this interview?

"What are your opinions on being disinherited?" One reporter practically screamed out.

"I was not disinherited. I was simply not given the amount many expected I would receive." Trinity replied coolly.

"What are your thoughts on Avery Grambs?"

"Is it true that Avery is dating Jameson?"

"Is Avery your illegitimate aunt!?"

"Is it true that Avery saved Tobias Hawthorne's life?"

"How is your family taking this?"

Reporters seemed to be screaming to the death trying to catch her attention.

"Ahem." Trinity cleared her throat. "All reporters and journalists who work for United American Media Station and its branched companies are now required to leave."

This seemed to set off a clamoring and whispering bomb.

"Why?" shouted out a reporter.

"According to the CEO of UAMS, you are required to leave."

"How do you know?"

"Well, I just bought the company - including all of its child companies, so that makes the CEO... me."

Holy.

Mother.

Faxing.

Chip.

————————————————————————
I scroll down to the next video which is titled: Skye Hawthorne and Zara Hawthorne-Calligaris.The two of them stood behind a podium at what appeared to be some kind of press conference—so much for Grayson's assertion that his mother hadn't left her room in days.

"Our father was a great man." Zara's hair whipped in a subtle wind. The expression on her face was stoic. "He was a revolutionary entrepreneur, a once-in-a-generation philanthropist, and a man who valued family above all else." She took Skye's hand. "As we grieve his passing, rest assured that we will not see hislife's work die with him. The Hawthorne Foundation will continue operations. My father's numerous investments will undergo no immediate changes. While we cannot comment on the complex legalities of the current situation, I can assure you that we are working with the authorities, elder-abuse specialists, anda team of medical and legal professionals to get to the bottom of this situation."

She  turned  to  Skye,  whose  eyes  brimmed  with  unshed  tears—perfect, picturesque, dramatic.

"Our father was our hero," Zara declared. "We will not allow him, in death,to become a victim. To that end, we are providing the press with the results of a genetic test that proves conclusively that, contrary to the libelous reports and speculation  circulating  in  the  tabloids,  Avery  Grambs  is  not  the  result  of infidelity on the part of our father, who was faithful to his beloved wife, our mother, for the entirety of their marriage. We as a family are as bewildered at recent events as all of you, but genes don't lie. Whatever else this girl may be,she is not a Hawthorne."

The video was cut off. Dumbfounded, I thought back to Grayson's parting shot.

I'd lay money that you're gone within the week.

Elder-abuse specialists? And the authorities? Plus a team of medical specialists. She might not have come right out and said that I'm under investigation for defrauding a dementia-ridden old man, but she sure as hell implied it.

Trinity pov
I walk into the library, expecting to find Avery and Jameson. What I do find is Avery and Grayson. Since when did he get here? Why is he even here? Knowing him, he has underlying motives. Also, this is awkward - yikes.

I pull out my phone and open the American Express app, whamming to see what the hell I bought. Tapping on "recent purchases" I braced myself for the worst. What I found was:
Chloé biker boots

Jimmy Choo embellished knee high boots (Libby)

MACH & MACH double bow heels

Two full sets of Louis Vuitton lounge wear (just why?)

Newspaper print dress

Swarovski Volta choker (but I kind of like it...)

Givenchy heels

Birkins (teo to be exact)

Chanel earrings

Vivienne Westwood earrings. (Love. LOVE!)

YSL, Chanel, and Gucci belts

Prada Saffiano duffel bags (again, why?)

Versace platform heels

Balenciaga over-the-knee boots (probably Libby's)

Balenciaga hourglass bag

Chanel No. 5

And so. Much. Makeup.

This must easily be costing me 100,000 dollars, probably more. I sigh. It was totally worth it.