Part 8

Costa Maya, a small tourist town on the border of Belize with crystal waters awaited them as they stepped off the ship. The boys all had full schedules planned with their partners for their second port day. "So I guess it's just you and me today..." Minho said, looking at Jisung. "Whoa calm down, you don't have to sound so excited." Jisung said sarcastically as he laughed. "Come on, I planned something and if we don't go now we will be late." Jisung added as he walked off. Minho followed after him asking "You made plans?" They arrived at a pier with a small boat and about 8 other people getting their gear on. "Snorkeling? Did you forget that I can't swim?" Minho asked. "No, I didn't forget. I did some research and you don't have to be able to swim to go snorkeling." Jisung said. "You... did research? When?" Minho asked. "It doesn't matter, come on, it's going to be so fun!" Jisung said, pulling Minho by the arm towards the boat. Minho went through all the motions of getting ready to snorkel without even knowing why he was doing it. Putting on the life vest and flippers and grabbing his snorkeling mask even though his mind was screaming that he didn't want to do this. His body moved against his will to orders from the excited Jisung beside him. "Alright, we have some seasoned snorkelers among the group as well as some newbies so let's go over some basics and get everyone used to the equipment and water. We will test everything here in the shallow water so if everyone could please step down off the dock and into the water here." the guide instructed them.

       Jisung got down into the water that was only about waist deep but Minho stayed up on the dock. "Come on Minho, it's just like when we stood in the swimming hole in Roatan." Jisung said as he extended his hand up to Minho. Jisung was surprised when Minho actually took his hand to carefully walk down the steps leading into the water. Jisung went to take his hand back but Minho only held it tighter. Jisung smiled softly and continued holding his hand as they listened to the guide. "I need everyone to put on their snorkeling masks and try just looking at their feet. Let me or one of the other guides know if there is any water that gets into your mask. These are full face masks so you don't have to worry about keeping the tube in your mouth but let us know now if you feel you aren't getting the proper amount of air from the tube attached." the guide said. Minho gulped as Jisung helped him put on his mask. They both leaned down together to look through the water to their feet as they were instructed. They were then instructed how to just let their bodies float as they looked down to the sea below them. All the gear worked as it was supposed to and they lifted their heads out of the water and Jisung took off the mask saying "See, you don't have to be able to swim. There's nothing to be scared of." Minho nodded his head before walking back towards the boat. Everyone boarded the boat and they rode out further from the shore. The boat stopped and Minho turned to Jisung and said practically shaking "I don't want to do this Jisung, it's too deep." Jisung took his hand and said "You can do it Minho, all you have to do is float like we practiced near the shore. I will be there with you the whole time."

       They climbed off the boat and into the water with the group. "He said it's only about 9 feet deep here, that's just like the deep end of a pool. No biggie." Jisung said. "I don't go swimming in the deep ends of pools either, Jisung!" Minho said in a quick and anxious tone. "I'm right here. We will just look down at all the fish together. We don't even have to go any further from the boat." Jisung said sweetly. Minho looked at him, studying his face and feeling more calm as he looked at his reassuring smile. They put on their masks and Minho grabbed Jisung's hand as they both floated on their stomachs, hand in hand, looking down into the water together. Below the surface was like a completely different world. Fish of all shapes, sizes and colors. Minho looked at Jisung with sparkling eyes and a big grin, amazed by the unbelievable sight. They could see the different colored corals on the ocean floor and marveled as fish swam all around them. Both their heads came out of the water and Jisung took off his mask saying "Wait I saw something really cool! Look at me when we put our faces back in the water and I will show you." Jisung put his mask on and they both looked back into the water and Minho looked to Jisung who then threw him a finger heart, grinning cheekily. Minho rolled his eyes but a small smirk could still be seen through his mask. Just then a huge fish swam between the two of them and they froze looking at the fish and then to each other with wide eyes. As the fish cleared them and swam away they both came out of the water and took off their masks laughing excitedly. "Did you see that thing?! It was huge! I feel like it could have swallowed my whole hand!" Jisung exclaimed.