Chapter 2: Rescue

trigger warning: dark themes that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

trigger warning: language that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Erik's POV

    Erik and Charles froze, Erik looking over to his ringing phone. He sat up and leaned over to hang it up.

    He saw the name listed and hesitated with a rising emotion of annoyance. Why would That Boy be calling him?

    "Maybe something's wrong with Marjorie?" Charles, as usual, answered his thoughts. That was fine—he didn't mind Charles in his head. That way, there weren't any miscommunications.

    "Thanks," smiled Charles. "I'm glad you like me in your head."

    Erik rolled his eyes, mumbled something about eavesdropping, and picked up the phone. "What?" he demanded harshly.

    That Boy's voice was clipped and sharp over the phone: "Marjorie's gone."

    "What?!?" repeated Erik in shocked dismay, getting up and starting to get dressed. "What do you mean, gone?"

    "She's been captured. Government."

    Erik furiously pulled up the zipper on his jeans with his metallokinesis. "And you didn't stop them?" he hissed. "Why aren't you with her?"

    "I was separated from the main group," he said bitterly. "Me and Clint are the only ones left."

    Erik recalled Clint as the arrow one.

    He was going to save Marjorie, and then ground her. Erik had known he should have never let her leave XSGY. He definitely shouldn't have let her join the fucking Avengers.

    "Where is she?" Erik demanded into the phone.

    "If I knew that," snapped That Boy, "I would already be there."

    Erik resisted the urge to crush his phone. He turned to Charles—who had been getting dressed throughout the phone conversation —and asked, "Can you—"

    "Find her with Cerebro? Yes."

    Erik nodded thankfully.

     "So, can you find her or not?" asked That Boy impatiently.

    "Yes," said Erik shortly, and moved to hang up.

    "Erik," scolded Charles, "give the boy a chance. He means well."

    He tried to kill me! thought Erik towards Charles. I'm not letting him anywhere near Marjorie ever again.

    "I'm sure he didn't intend to almost kill you," soothed Charles. "And—from what I've seen in other's memories—I believe he genuinely cares for Marjorie. Give him a chance."

    You always try to see the best in people, thought Erik lovingly. But I did give him a chance, and now Marjorie is in danger.

    Charles sighed, and wirily said, "You really do think of her as a daughter, don't you? At least let him help find her; he could be useful."

    Unfortunately, Erik knew of That Boy's skill firsthand, and had to admit he might be useful. Fine.

    "Tell him we'll call back in 20 minutes with her location," suggested Charles.

    Erik begrudgingly repeated the message into the phone and hung up.

~

    "She's in a government facility over the Atlantic Ocean, near New York," Erik said as soon as That Boy picked up. (Before the first ring even finished.)