Chapter 10: Halloween (Part 1)

trigger warning: language that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Bucky's POV

Bucky frowned in concentration.

Marjorie was wearing an emerald hooded cloak, a dull red floor-length skirt, straightened hair with the colorer layer pinned back, and an expectant expression. It was Halloween—Marjorie's favorite holiday—and he was trying to figure out what her costume was.

No way she would dress up as just a basic witch. She would be more creative than that.

The cloak gave fantasy magic vibes, maybe something from a book?

Hmmm... No, that wasn't it.

What else would she assume he would know, though?

...He couldn't think of anything. Bucky changed tactics; what did Marjorie like enough to dress up as for Halloween???

His mind was blanking.

"Do you need a hint?" sighed Marjorie in disappointment.

"No, no," he disagreed automatically. "I know it. It's... uhhhhh..."

She raised her eyebrows. "Your hint is that it's related to music."

Music? Marjorie liked hundreds of different artists! Why did the hint have to be so vague?!?

"Taylor?" he guessed.

"Yes!"

Okay, he was pretty sure that Taylor Swift had a music video with witches. And... snow. And... uhh... trees?

"............... Willow?" he guessed.

"Yes!"

Bucky smiled at her enthusiasm. "You look beautiful," he offered.

"Thanks," she said easily, "you're pretty, too."

He scowled at her. "I'm not pretty," he grumbled, resisting the urge to hide his face.

"Sure you are." Marjorie set herself in his lap and peered at him hopefully. "Are you sure you don't want to dress up?"

"Yes," he said dryly.

"But you want to come to the party?"

Bucky did not want to go to the party. Almost the whole school would be there. It would be horrible, full of people and safety hazards, like guillotines and glow sticks.

But Marjorie wanted to go.

"I can go by myself, it's really not a big deal."

No, Bucky would feel better at the party than by himself, letting Marjorie go by herself. He would just find an empty corner to hide in while he surveyed the many threats parties supplied. "I want to go."

Marjorie pursed her lips, and he knew she could sense his reluctance. "Alright, then. Rei's around the corner."

She gripped his right hand reassuringly, and gently pulled him out of their room and towards Rei.

~

Bucky listened to Rei and Marjorie's enthusiastic conversation about costumes (Rei was some character called "Zuko," and had persuaded their sister to be "Azula") and fabric choices, and the group was at the party all too soon.

He had to give credit to whoever planned it: the party was on-point. If he wasn't so stressed about the whole situation, Bucky would have admired the dedication of whoever decorated the room.