Chapter 7: Tension

trigger warning: mild sexual content that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Marjorie's POV

Marjorie stared incredulously at the closed door. Did Riku wink at her?

"Is she always like that?" wondered Bucky.

She turned back to him. "You mean cheerfully kidnapping people randomly? Pretty much."

Bucky stepped closer to her and ran his fingers through her hair lightly. "Your hair is very pretty like this," he offered. "It looks very nice against your skin."

She flushed with pleasure when he trailed the back of his index and middle fingers down the front of her neck.

"Marjorie?" he asked. "Can you do something for me?"

"Yes," she agreed reflexively. "Anything."

Bucky suppressed a smile at her intensity. "Come here, please." He pulled her to his side and sat down on the edge of her bed, setting her in his lap.

She waited expectantly.

"Can you tell me what you're feeling?"

Marjorie frowned: this wasn't what she expected. "What I'm feeling right now?"

"If you wouldn't mind."

"Well," thought Marjorie, "right now I'm wondering why you're asking, so, I guess, curious?"

He smiled in encouragement. "What else?"

"Umm." She racked her brain. "I like my hair... Does that count?"

"Yes, what else?"

"Kinda amused? Riku winked and tried to subtly leave us alone together, and I found that funny. And I'm glad that she, Blyke, and Rei still want to be my friends. But I'm kind of nervous to be back at XSGY; what is everyone going to think? And I don't want to see So-S–" she stumbled on the name "–Sof-fi again."

Bucky frowned. "Is Sofi your ex girlfriend?"

"Yeah," she muttered.

"What happened?" His eyes darkened. "Did she hurt you?"

"N-no. It's... complicated. I don't want to talk about it." Marjorie sounded sulky and petty outloud. But thinking about the breakup sent hurt lacing through her heart, and she didn't think she could put it into words without completely breaking down.

"Is that why you've been tensed up?" he guessed. "Because you're nervous to be back at XSGY?"

"I'm not ten—" Marjorie realized her back muscles were tensed, and she tried to relax. "How long have I been like that?" Since she thought about Sofi?

"All morning." He frowned at her, concerned. "Since your friends showed up."

"Wow, really?" She hadn't realized.

Bucky gently massaged her back. "I'm worried about you," he confessed. "It's like you can't relax."

"Do you blame me?" she muttered.

"No, of course not." He flattened her tense muscles with his metal hand, stroking down her spine to the small of her back. "I just don't know how to help you."

"That helps," she purred. He had started to slide his hand up and down her side slowly.

"I'm glad." Bucky continued the soothing rotation. "Doll?" he asked after a minute.