Chapter 8: Time

trigger warning: mild sexual content that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

trigger warning: language that may be offensive or upsetting to some readers

Bucky's POV

"Hey, Erik," said Marjorie without looking up from her book. "What's up?"

Erik narrowed his eyes. He had randomly thrown open the door and burst in without warning—or, it would have been, if Marjorie hadn't sensed him coming and given them a five minute head start.

It had only taken two minutes for Bucky to release Marjorie, shove her shirt and hoodie back on her, and put them in a more proper position where he was still touching her: his right arm wrapped around her waist. Marjorie had grabbed a book, and Bucky was trying to recreate his contacts list in a new burner.

"Where did you get that?" accused Erik, pulling the phone out of Bucky's hand with his metallokinesis. He pocketed the confiscated burner.

Bucky scowled and pulled out a new burner from his pocket. Now he had to start all over again.

"What-how?" he sputtered. "How many of those do you have?"

"Enough."

"Did you want something, Erik?" asked Marjorie before Erik could strangle him.

He crossed his arms and turned to her, obviously cutting Bucky out of the conversation. "I came to check on you. Are you going to stay up here all day?"

"Did you expect something else?" She frowned, closing her book. Bucky discreetly scanned the cover; it was called A Court of Thorns and Roses. He hadn't read it, maybe he would ask her about it later. "I don't want to talk to a bunch of people."

Erik sighed. "I know, but I don't want you to feel like you can't do stuff around XSGY. You might do something fun and enjoy it, instead of reading all day."

Marjorie's scowl deepened. "I like reading."

"And how many times have you read that before?"

"That's irrelevant."

"Marjorie," sighed Erik. Bucky suspected he was getting to his real point. "I don't like you being alone in your room with That Boy all the time."

And there it was! Bucky wasn't remotely surprised, and neither, it seemed, was Marjorie.

"You don't have to like it," she glared.

"He's not allowed to sleep in here anymore; I'm getting him a different dorm," Erik insisted.

"Xavier told you about that?" asked Bucky in surprise.

Erik gave him a death stare. "That was a special circumstance, and it's never happening again."

Marjorie groaned. "He can stay if he wants! I want him to. And you can't control my life! You're not my father."

He could tell Erik was hurt by that. "I might as well be. I definitely care more about you than your real father."

Marjorie flinched, and Bucky held her tighter and glared at Erik. The snub was way out of line. He could tell Erik instantly regretted it.

"I'm sorry." He sounded ashamed. Good: he should be. "That was bellow the belt."

"An understatement," Bucky frostily replied.

It was a testament to his discomfort that Erik let Bucky slide on that.