Chapter Two

It would take another thirty minutes before the man's vision returned, and even then it was at the mercy of the other person. They were deep in a dense forest, surrounded by the sounds of their labored breathing and the grunts of the trapped man. Adrenaline had blanked his mind, leaving him with no focus.

He heard the voice of the other person, who seemed to know his name. "Roan?" the voice asked, smooth yet stern. "Is that you, Roan?"

Roan was in a state of panic and shock. He hadn't given his name to anyone in years, and never in the past thirteen. He let his body go limp as the other person lifted his head to look at him. Roan took in the face before him - the attractive man with wavy ash-brown hair, ocean-blue eyes, and fair skin. Blotches of brown adorned the man's body, vitiligo. Something about him felt familiar. When he noticed the faint scar on the man's nose, a jolt of recognition shot through him.

Roan knew who this person was - and also realized that he was being held captive by a long, smooth tail. He didn't dare speak a word, but when the tail slid away from his mouth, he screamed. The other person slammed the tail back over his mouth, demanding to know what had happened to the woman. Roan tried to reply, but his voice was muffled. He managed to bite down hard on the skin-textured tail, causing the other person to recoil and giving Roan a chance to speak.

"I didn't kill that woman, Corren!" Roan shouted, using the other person's name. Corren's expression showed a mix of anger and sadness as he tightened his grip on Roan. The name slipped from Roan's mouth like vomit. 

Roan felt defeated - he was supposed to have died twelve years ago, and he had tried to leave his past behind. But Corren knew who he was, and Roan knew he was in trouble. "I never laid a hand on that girl," he said, his voice hoarse. "I never even knew her."

Corren cursed and pushed Roan against a tree, using his tail to keep him restrained. He rested his forehead against his tail and took a deep breath, trying to calm himself. "You're supposed to be dead," he said softly, his expression softening slightly.

Silence enveloped them once again, and then everything faded to black.