Chapter Four

Roan's mind was in a frenzy as he tried to process the information he had just received from Corren. The fear of what his family would do if they found him missing and in Corren's mansion was overwhelming. He had been trained to be a killer from a young age, and he knew the consequences of failure. He paced back and forth in the spare bedroom, his eyes darting around the room. He couldn't think straight, and the paranoia was starting to take over.

Roan reached into his pocket and pulled out a small bottle of pills. He popped a couple into his mouth and swallowed them without water. Gulp

The medication helped to calm his nerves, but it also made him feel numb and disconnected from reality. It was a trade-off he was willing to make.

As the medication started to take effect, Roan's mind became a little clearer. He knew that he had to leave Corren's mansion as soon as possible. He couldn't risk staying any longer, and he needed to find a way to disappear without being detected. He didn't have much, but he knew that he needed to travel by daylight.

Roan was so focused on thinking that he didn't even hear the knock at the door. He froze, his heart racing as he tried to decide what to do. He knew that he couldn't let anyone in, but he also couldn't ignore the knocking. He slowly made his way to the door, his hand shaking as he reached for the doorknob.

"Roan, it's me," Corren's voice came from the other side of the door. "Can I come in?"

Roan hesitated for a moment before slowly opening the door. Corren stepped inside, his eyes scanning the room.

"Are you okay?" Corren asked, his voice full of concern.

Roan abruptly nodded, not trusting himself to speak. He felt like he was going to break down at any moment. Maintaining his composure was a priority.

"I need to go," Roan finally managed to say. "I can't stay here."

Corren nodded, his face serious. "I understand. But Roan, there's something I need to talk to you about."

Roan's heart sank. He knew what was coming next. Corren was going to bring up the murder, and Roan didn't know how to handle it.

"What is it?" Roan asked, trying to keep his voice steady. His tone created a rushed aspect of the conversation.

"I need to know the truth, Roan. Did you kill that woman?"

Roan's mind went blank. He couldn't think of what to say. The fear and paranoia were starting to take over again, and he felt like he was drowning. Anger soon shrouded his mind. 

"I didn't do it," Roan finally managed to say, his voice shaking.

Corren looked at him for a moment, his eyes piercing. Roan felt like he was under a microscope, and he couldn't stand it.

"I believe you, Roan," Corren said finally, his voice gentle. "But you need to be honest with me. I can help you, but I need to know the truth."

Roan felt like he was going to be sick. He didn't know what to do or who to trust. All he knew was that he needed to get out of there as soon as possible. Corren knew that he had to stop Roan from leaving his mansion. He was afraid that Roan would run away and put himself or others in even more danger. Corren gently grabbed Roan's arm, but Roan yanked it away and started pacing back and forth.

"I can't stay here," Roan muttered, rubbing his hands together in agitation.

"Roan, please calm down," Corren pleaded. "I know you're scared, but you're safe here with me. And I need to know what's going on. Why did you clean up that woman's blood? What magic was that?"

Roan stopped pacing and stared at Corren with wide eyes. "I didn't have a choice," he said, his voice shaking. "My family... they told me to do it. If I didn't, they would kill me."

Corren's heart sank. He had suspected as much. "Roan, you don't have to be afraid anymore. You're away from your family now. And I promise I'll do everything I can to protect you."

Roan let out a bitter laugh. "Protect me? You can't protect me from them. They'll come after me, and they'll come after you too. It's more than just family."

Corren sighed. He knew Roan was right. But he couldn't just let Roan go. Not when he had just gotten him back. 

"Roan, are you taking anything?" Corren asked gently, making sure his pistol resigned in his pocket just in case.

Roan glared at him. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, are you taking any pills or drugs? You don't seem like yourself."

Roan's face twisted in anger. "Why do you care? It's none of your business."

"It is my business when it affects your safety," Corren said firmly. "Roan, please. Let me help you."

Roan hesitated for a moment, then sneered at Corren's suspicions of him being under the influence.

The truth was Roan was in possession of a prescription for a powerful narcotic, and it was almost empty. These were not prescribed to Roan, instead, another name claimed the bottle. Roan was not only in danger from his family, but he was also addicted to these pills.

"Fine, I apologize," Corren said, trying to sound reassuring. "But for now, you need to rest. Please, let me help you and I'll see what we can do."

Roan nodded slowly, concluding that it'd be better to formulate a plan indoors before he enacted it. Corren had a feeling that Roan's problems were far from over, and he wasn't sure if he was up to the task of keeping him safe. But he knew he had to try. For Roan's sake.