𝟎𝟎𝟏

"Mommy, wake up!" The soft and small hand of four-year-old True shook Zaira's shoulder

"Mommy, wake up!" The soft and small hand of four-year-old True shook Zaira's shoulder. She exhaled softly, her eyes fluttering open as she rolled around in her cream-colored silk sheets.

Her eyes wandered around the room as she sat up and stretched, looking at her alarm clock before she looked at her window, the morning darkness peeping through the white blackout curtains.

"True, it's five in the morning, baby. Are you okay? Is something wrong?" She picked her up and placed her in her lap. True shook her head as she rubbed her eye, a soft yawn coming from her as she looked towards the window.

"I- I- w-wanna watch the sun c-come up again." She said softly as she looked back at Zaira, her dimples showing as she smiled. A chuckle from Zaira made her little smile grow as she stood up from the bed.

"Go get your shoes." Zaira put her back on her feet, and she ran out of the room, going across the dark hallway to her bedroom, grabbing her pink little Nike slides.

Zaira stretched her arms in the air as she went to the bathroom. She peed before washing her hands and doing her hygiene care. She peeked out the bathroom door, looking through her curtains to ensure it was still dark.

"Mommy, h-hurry, the s-sun won't wait anymoreeee!" True frowned, jumping up and down as she reached for Zaira's hand.

"I'm coming. I'm coming!" She grabbed her hand, walked to the kitchen, and grabbed some ice water from her fridge before they walked out of the back door.

She held True's tiny hand as they descended the stairs of their back porch before making their way down the small path leading to the beach right in their backyard.

This was a routine for them almost every morning, living in Southern Shores, a small town in Outer Banks, NC. It was the perfect place for Zaira. The privacy and exclusive access were what sold her. The beaches were private to residents only, and it was overall such a beautiful and euphoric place.

Perfect for her to remain in the calm state of mind she worked for over the last five years. Ever since she gave birth to True, it was like her world had changed drastically. She had a whole baby, a child to call her own forever. 1child, she wanted to protect herself from the dangerous people of the world. People like her old self, people like him.

Zaira and True walked across the sandy shore, going to their usual spot, a log in the middle of the beach. They sat down, Zaira wrapping her arm around True as they watched the sun rise beautifully along the coast.

"Are you going to be good at school today?" Zaira looked down at True, running her fingers through her curls as her eyes closed.

"I- I- I'm always good." She smiled, her soft voice cracking slightly with a little yawn.

"I know, but you didn't read when it was your turn like Mrs. Meza asked you to Monday," Zaira said, looking down at her. True looking up with a pout, the sun bringing out the beautiful honey-golden color of her brown eyes.